Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first weimaraner pup yesterday she is 6 months old already. Got her from people who bought her but didn't have time for her. She is such a good looking dogs. Anyone else hunt these dogs regularly?
20161029_150546.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,045 Posts
The one on the right is my 10 year old Weimaraner.
She's a wonderful pointer as well as a fantastic retriever.
One of my best friends ever. D 33.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not a purebred Weim, but the best "natural" hunting dog I ever owned was the result of someone's black Lab duck dog jumping a neighborhood fence to get at a Weimaraner bitch in heat. The resulting pup that I bought for $50 taught me more about bird hunting than I taught him. Sadly, I lost him before he turned 4 years old.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

My family has had Weims since the 1950's, we shipped my young bitch to a family friend in Cordoba, Argentina in 1958, she was the only Weim in the country at the time, Bernie had a huge estancia and entertained on a regular basis, he sent me many pics of Kelly with a big pile of Perdiz, an occasional wild boar. Dove hunting did not exist at that time, they would dynamite the roosting areas.

The above dog was 3 years old when I got her from another family acquaintance after he had her on the field trial circuit for two years, she was a great gun dog and house dog. Lived to be eleven then got gastric torsion (bloat) twice in two months and had her put down.

Pat

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
My dad bought me a weimar pup from a soldier that brought 5 home from Germany in his duffel. My female was the only one to survive. She turned out to be one of the best upland bird dogs that I have had. She was also very protective. As an adult I tried to get another Weimar, but all I could find was field show dogs and not gun dogs. Have had Elhew English pointers the last 4 fantastic friends and hunters. Bill

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Well she is obviously smart enough to have taken over the couch already so I doubt she will have any problems finding you a few birds. She will grow to have long legs and be capable of hunting vast areas in the time it takes a normal guy to put on his hunting boots. These are high performance dogs that look like a million bucks - try and remember who is the master and who is the student.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My dad had one and a friend of mine years ago and they were both wonderful dogs great hunters and retrievers. they were good watch dogs also for whatever the reasons may be.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Just put our 14 year old down a couple of months ago. Greatest dog that ever lived but preferred the couch to the field.
Mark

·
Registered
55 Posts
My old neighbor had a Weim that we hunted with often. Great personality and a good bird dog. We worked him on grouse and pheasants.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got myself a "Heinz 57 hound" with one of the strongest hunting instincts I've ever seen. On a lark, I took her out for some Chukar and Pheasant hunting (less hunting, and more to expose her to the idea, and burn off a bit of energy). She managed to flush and retrieve 5 Chukars on her first experience to the field (and only about 40 minutes of actual time off the leash).

Needless to say, we've been working with her to strengthen those skills.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Here's my second one, Louie who will be 6 mo. the 25th. He also knows where the couches are. Just wished I had half the energy he does. Had to put Piper, my first one down a year ago. I said I'd never have another, but my wife won this battle.

Oops! not so good at posting pictures. Just turn ur puter upside down.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Brady, shedding is very minimal as well as much less noticeable with the short silver(in my dog's case) hairs. The blues may be different.

Steve

·
Registered
87 Posts
had 2 growing up great pheasant dogs , they have a ton of energy, mine were outside dogs, don't want to think of what a pup left alone could do to a house quickly!!
LOL

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
had 2 growing up great pheasant dogs , they have a ton of energy, mine were outside dogs, don't want to think of what a pup left alone could do to a house quickly!!
LOL
We won't even go there.LOL. By-the-way, he gets hauled around in my wife's FJ when we go hunting or just about any place.
Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts