Trapshooters Forum banner

Weight reduction due to Wilkinson??

3451 Views 19 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  JLSO5
For those that may have had their barrels tuned by Tom Wilkinson, any idea how much weight is shed per barrel? I am curious to know how much I should expect to lose if I send my topsingle to Tom. Thanks in advance!

-Aaron
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3,599 Posts
Aaron.. Why not call Tom and ask him? Just a thought... Dan Thome (Trap2)

· Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give Tom a call. The last time I asked him he said it was a relatively small amount, but couldn't quote me a weight. My RS barrel is about 3 ounces lighter than my 2000/10 barrel. I would love to have identical weights on them so that they swing similarly. I have shot the RS for 6 years and I am pretty used to its characteristics. But I also like the way the 2000/10 shoots. If they were the same weight that would be one less variable.

· Vendor
20,986 Posts
The late great "All good" PerazziBigBore, Mike Greenblatt, thought 4 to 5 ounces as a rule. But I think that would be the case with the backbore of an 18.4 .724 bbl to Wilkinson usual of .740. Nowadays he often backbores the 18.7 .736 to .743 or about 1/2 the metal removed. My advice to you would be to weigh your bbl with a trigger pull gauge beroe you send it to Wilkinson and then again when it comes back. Then you can convert your pound calcs to kg by using the above website. Just type in your bbl weights, do the math and you have the true difference.

I have an opinion here... the 18.7 Perazzi backbore seems to work about the same as a standard Wiliknson .740. (Seems is the radioactive word here). I have both an 18.7 standard Perazzi bbl on my MX2000 and a Wilkinson .740 standard adn they seem abou the same in use. All guns vary some, so my results are proof of nothing other than I like both.

· Registered
3,719 Posts
The weight can easily be put back in place via lead tape. Do not purchase at golf or tennis shops as they are considerably more costly than our very own Whiz White from this board will sell it to you. His is very good quality 3M.

· Vendor
20,986 Posts
Martin. I have both and used both. And prefer the "tennis racquet variety. That is my context in response for you to tell follks "do not buy". Nothing moer. Not personal. Just words to words to words.
Jack

· Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I notice the 3 ounces of difference, and that is what matters to me. So if I can have all three barrels at the same weight (1.61 kg), then I will.

· Banned
5,706 Posts
That is a lot of metal to come out of a Bbl assuming 4 ozs, I would not have that done to any Bbl of mine. I want it as strong as it can be and un-altered.

But that is me. I love my Stock CG Bbl as is, factory work is the best, has long forcing cone and fantastic Choke Tubes.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

· Registered
3,967 Posts
I had an MX 8 top single barrel done by Mr Wilkinson. It came from the factory as 18.7 bore (approx .736) and .035 factory choked. He overbored it to .742 and .030 choke. It took 2 oz out. Not sure I can tell the difference in weight.

Still a great piece of barrel work and thrilled with the results.

· Registered
308 Posts
I have 2 K-80 barrels that Tom did and lost less than 2 oz. I talked to him last week as I am ordering a P gun with fixed that I want fixed choke M/M and he said IM/IM and 18.7 bore and I would lose about 1 1/2 oz.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.