Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you lose or gain a considerable amount of weight should you have your shotgun refitted? Can the fit vary as much as half an inch or more or is the measure skeletal?

How close are the tolerances?

What physical changes if any, effect the overall fit?

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
I lost 150 lbs. Everything changed. I had to add length to my Ljutic stock and length plus a toed inn pad on my Browning ST-100. I did it myself through trial and error. No stock fitters in W. Canada that I know of.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations. What an amazing weight loss! I could see how that would change everything.
Last time I had a fitting I was told to take a half inch off the stock but another family member used the same shotgun and was fine with it. So I waited.
Now, I've lost some padding and would like to get back into shooting, but didn't know if I should have another fitting and actually have the work done,
or have an adjustable put on.
When I was measured I thought it was only arm length and not width that effected the fit, but the less 'padding' would effect the length, right? Or a heavily padded coat would change the fit as well, I heard guys complain.
I like the way the gun looks all wood stock and really wanted to keep it
that way.
Feels ok but maybe I should get a professional opinion.
Still have a few pounds to go counting calories.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
I lost 80Lbs & my Jeff Mainland custom fitted Kolar stock didn't. A visit to Keeth Heeg set it to rights, and my scores went right back up where they belonged. Just as an aside, you need to pay attention to your shooting clothing as a change in thickness in the shoulder area will affect LOP.

best.... mike

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another major weight loss. Congrats! I would think that it might work the same way in reverse ie weight gain needs adjustment as well.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I lost nearly 250lbs and before my operation my weight was always a yoyo..maximum adjustability has always been a must...length of pull changed way more than you think too as you go in and out of chunky body syndrome or TMC (too many cheeseburgers)

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two hundred and fifty pounds is a major triumph! If I were giving out prizes you, CalvinMD would probably win. What absolute focus and dedication it must take to lose that much weight.

You are all truly inspirations and I'll think of you everyday while I lose the last of what I would like to lose (20-30) beginning tomorrow. I keep losing and gaining the same pounds.

When done, I look forward to getting refitted for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts