Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, I’m at it again. Any experience with this gun? Reviews seem very positive. Looks like a decent gun for the money.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got a new Orion (not the fancy Sporting model as I'm only willing to throw so much $ away) last summer, it met my low expectations upon arrival and as a bonus it hain't broke yet.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I bought one about a year ago (it was one of the newer Turkish guns) but found it was clunky/chunky up front and didn't point well for me. No problems mechanically but wasn't the o/u I thought it was going to be. Luckily I got out of it what I had put into it.

Reactions: Swampy16

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup, I’m at it again. Any experience with this gun? Reviews seem very positive. Looks like a decent gun for the money.
Wondering if you eventually purchased the Weatherby Orion I and, if so, what has your experience been with it. My brother was looking at a Savage 555 so I went to look at it with him. There was a Weatherby Orion sitting beside the Savage he was considering and the Weatherby looked much nicer, had a steel receiver, and just shouldered and pointed better than the Savage gun. The salesman tried to redirect him to the Savage but my brother is reevaluating now so I would like to hear from someone who has shot the Weatherby for a while.

Use is primarily upland birds with occasional sporting clay, skeet or trap just for practice and fun. He isn't interested in spending $1000-2000+ on an O/U.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with a Browning. I’d steer him towards an auto. He’ll get more gun for his money in that price range. I’d seriously steer him towards a Beretta A300. Great crossover, just a great gun.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My wife’s grandfather used to smoke targets with his. He can no longer shoot but I would love to have his some day to remember him. It will serve you well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife’s grandfather used to smoke targets with his. He can no longer shoot but I would love to have his some day to remember him. It will serve you well.
Thanks for the reply. Her grandfather's was probably the Japanese SKB version of the Weatherby Orion. That model was discontinued and they reintroduced a new version Orion I in 2015. The new one is manufactured for Weatherby by Ata in Turkey; basically giving the Ata SP O/U a new stock and branding is as a Weatherby. The new Orion I uses a close copy of the Beretta 626 action but I'm wondering if it is as durable as the old SKB version is.

What few reviews I've seen of the new one have been favorable but the reviews were from publications where Weatherby may have had some advertising influence on how the article was written. I was hoping for experiences from unbiased shooters who have used the new Orion I for a year or more and run a thousand or more rounds through it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Buddy has one for the last couple years and other than the second shot not going off sometime when it’s really cold it’s been great. We think and haven’t had the chance to break it open to confirm…the factory grease it thickening up when cold and slowing the firing pin enough to cause it not to fire. Doesn’t do it when temps are above freezing and doesn’t do it all the time…like it has a mind of it’s own. He likes the gun overall and has maybe 2-3k through it. To me I don’t think you could get a better gun for the money…think he paid $800 little more for it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
HAve 400 shots thru mine and no issues other than the Stock has more traditional field dimensions and chewed up my cheek. Have to work on the fit and having the adjustable comb should help. Project for fall as with ammo being short, going to stay focused on Trap for next 6 months. But otherwise the gun handles well look forward to getting some more rounds thru it.

·
Sky Buster
4,171 Posts
HAve 400 shots thru mine and no issues other than the Stock has more traditional field dimensions and chewed up my cheek. Have to work on the fit and having the adjustable comb should help. Project for fall as with ammo being short, going to stay focused on Trap for next 6 months. But otherwise the gun handles well look forward to getting some more rounds thru it.
The Japanese made SKB were excellent guns. I had a Sporter during the 80's. It chewed up
targets and never broke down. Parts and service are available from SKB in Omaha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Used a Weatherby Athena V in 28g when I shot skeet. A very well made, good-looking shotgun.
The Athena was one of the SKB manufactured Weatherby Orions, different design than the current Ata manufactured Weatherby Orions. I'm hoping that Weatherby is maintaining the same quality level in their Ata version.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I had one made in Japan, good field gun and shot a lot of skeet with it. However, shooting in the summer at skeet, the barrels got too hot and separated. Got it fixed and sold it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the 30" ported for three months now and I love it. Easily worth twice what I paid for it. It points like the finger of doom. With the adjustable stock I shoot it better than my buddys 626. I LOVE this gun. Fit and finish is excellent. I was shooting my Benelli Montefeltro for skeet. NOW I shoot this. Sporting clays at Lehigh Valley,,, IT KICKS BUTT!!!! No issues so far.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,187 Posts
This my 2002 Japanese SKB 85 TSS with 28” barrels, the sporting stock, adjustable comb, factory ported (Magna Port) and a schnobel forearm. Very similar to the old Wheatherby Orion made by SKB in Japan. Love the gun. Built like a tank. Great sporting clays gun.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts