Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a set of Walker game ear muffs so I can hear better and still have ear protection when I'm shooting. My question is how to keep the muffs from scratching up my gun stock?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I really like ear muffs and use them when shooting pistols, but can't when shooting a shotgun as my ear cheekbone ratio plants them on the my comb breaking the seal between ear and muff rendering them useless. If yours barely touch your comb, I would think taping the bottom of the muff ywould keep them from scratching your comb or maybe you can find a pair that doesn't hit your wood, I haven't been able to.

Surfer

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I taped a piece of foam rubber to the bottom of my muffs to keep from scratching the stock and it worked but I HATE shooting a shotgun with them and have used custom molded earplugs for years.

·
Registered
Ktieghoff K-80 super sport one plantation, one gold super scrol
292 Posts
LOVE my PRO-ears but it depends on stock shape if I can use them.

·
Sleep...What’s That?
419 Posts
My Pro Ears have a piece of felt that works well. I would think this would be a pretty cheap fix to most ears muffs.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
^ putting some polar fleece on the bottom like those pro-ears would work nice I would think

I use ear muffs all the time.

I guess I am lucky in that my physical build and my gun stocks align where I do not have problems with them coming in contact with each other, but I could see where that would happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm considering purchasing a set of Walker game ear muffs so I can hear better and still have ear protection when I'm shooting. My question is how to keep the muffs from scratching up my gun stock?

My Pro Ears did not come with felt but I was able to find a sheet of adhesive backed felt at the hobby shop. An easy fix - does the job.

IMG_0807.JPG

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
It's been my experience that most muffs don't adjust up high enough to keep them from sorta hanging on my ears. I glue a piece of foam on the underside of the top strap to lift the things to where they don't ride on my ears and they're just fine and don't hit the stock. Generally I've noticed that I can lift the things really high and not have any strange pressure on the ear so I'm guessing that the pad thing would maybe help about anyone.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,745 Posts
I've tried several times with various styles and finally gave up. A high rib guns and resultant high comb stocks make them almost impossible to get used to. CLUNK!

·
Supporting Vendor
5,828 Posts
I like the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs. Work great. $40 at Amazon.
The sound quality is not as good as ProEars but they seal fine for shotgun shooting.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
I remember well my very first ear muffs I used along with those old "sonic valve" ear plugs. Those muffs would bang on the comb quite often and I didn't like that sound at all either! Sometimes they wouldn't bang on the comb and I liked the muffled sound they gave me.

The reason I heard that baffling irritating sound had nothing to do with the muffs themselves but it was something I was doing unawares! MY HEAD WAS MOVING ON MY STOCK! That was causing the irritating noise that bothered me and I blamed it on the muffs! Once I planted my cheekbone on the comb and became one with my shotgun, the problems ceased! I still use them today too, Peltor 7s and I love them!

HAP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts