Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes am the great procrastinator! Whaaaat!
Sometime ago my wife and I joined one of our local shooting clubs (Flagler) . As part of your membership you receive a free concealed weapons course.
Through shooting there I met and shoot regularly with one of the chief instructors. We have talked about it over two years but I just have not got around to taking the course. Just recently I brought up the subject again about needing to take the course so I could get the certificate to get my carry license. He the told me I probably had enough registered ATA targets that I did not need the certificate!

I checked on line about acceptable firearm training and I found this below all of the usual document requirements:

Other Acceptable Forms of Training Documentation
Documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in an organized shooting competition is also acceptable.

So today I went down and filled out the application and brought my NRA card, my ATA card along with my printed average sheet. It shows I have close to 20k registered targets...and it look pretty impressive showing a 97% average on what I printed (just wanted to throw that in there)...

So the question is....Has anyone of you used this method for an acceptable training document?
Thanx
Mike

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wifey and I simply took a class and received a certificate from the instructor to submit with the forms and money.
We received our Concealed Weapons and Firearms Licenses in about thirty days.
Easy peesey.
I told the instructor that I shot in competition, he said the certificate was all I needed.
Maybe the State doesn't need to know about what I've done or when.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should still take the training. It will cover a lot of pertinent information. Laws on when and where to carry, case law, shoot don't shoot scenarios, crossing state lines, federal laws.... if you are going to carry do yourself a favor and take the course. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should still take the training. It will cover a lot of pertinent information. Laws on when and where to carry, case law, shoot don't shoot scenarios, crossing state lines, federal laws.... if you are going to carry do yourself a favor and take the course. Just my 2 cents
Yup...I agree...I have read our statues on the gun laws and there is Florida Gun Exchange just down the street and have Florida law seminars / classes they do as a service

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
The crazy thing about these courses is that they do not care if you are proficient. The requirement is you fire a gun one time and they will issue a permit.

20k rounds....you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
I took the course. Went to the local Permit office on the on the day I had been a resident of Fl. for the mandatory 6 months. Filled out form online, got picture and fingerprints no character references needed like in NY. I was told if I didn't get a letter from Fl. Dept of Ag & Consumer Services in 30 days everything was good and if I got a letter there was probably some sort of problem. Exactly 7 days later I got a letter and wondered what was wrong. When I opened it there was my CWP good for 7 yrs. When I lived in NY it took me 9 months to get my permit and then almost 3 yrs to get Hunting & target shooting only restriction taken off the permit. I miss NY, NOT!!!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Florida CCW site:
Acceptable Firearms Training Documentation / Applying for a Concealed Weapon License / Concealed Weapon License / Consumer Resources / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

Note the last section on the page:
Other Acceptable Forms of Training Documentation
Documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in an organized shooting competition is also acceptable.
Thats what I am relying on!
mike

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok....
I received a notice of "Error and Omissions" from the licensing division of the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services stating that I had not submitted a suitable document or certificate of training and I have 30 days to comply.
I gave them a call with the number they provided and talked with an service agent (Bree). I explained to her that I expected the letter but had a question. On there fifth line on acceptable documents it says "Having participated in organized competition" I told her that is what I based my competency on. She asked If I had submitted anything to that effect and I said yes. She looked my documents over, My NRA card, my ATA card and a copy of my last ata average sheet. She replied that that is a suitable document and the processor had made a mistake! Great!
They are finishing the processing!
Mike

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Back in the 70's, I was a serious duck hunter and the hunting at Merrit Island National Wildlife Refuge here in Florida could be fantastic at times. To hunt there, you had to pass a hunters safety course (these were fairly new).

When I applied for my concealed weapons permit years later, I discovered that I could use my hunters safety card in lieu of having to take the required course.

Sure made things easier, less time consuming and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back in the 70's, I was a serious duck hunter and the hunting at Merrit Island National Wildlife Refuge here in Florida could be fantastic at times. To hunt there, you had to pass a hunters safety course (these were fairly new).

When I applied for my concealed weapons permit years later, I discovered that I could use my hunters safety card in lieu of having to take the required course.

Sure made things easier, less time consuming and cheaper.
Yup...
thanx
mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you ever have to make that critical decision to shoot another person, all the trap/skeet/5 stand/sporting clays, DD 214, hunting licence, etc, experience in your shooting background will leave you totally unprepared.
Take a CCW course, it is inexpensive, high grade training.
The media version of “Stand your ground” and “Castle Doctrine” is nothing more than “ Sound Bites”

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
When I took the class here in Florida the instructor highly recommended a book by a Florida lawyer named Gutmacher who apparently specializes in defensive shooting cases. I’ll tell ya’ll this.. after hearing the instructor discuss cases and reading the book You begin to realize how easy it would be to wind up indicted for what you THOUGHT was a legitimate use of deadly force.
If you’re going to legally carry a firearm I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you gather all the information possible and learn how the law works before you make a mistake that could easily cost you everything you own in legal fees and appeals and still find you jailed.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
When I took the class here in Florida the instructor highly recommended a book by a Florida lawyer named Gutmacher who apparently specializes in defensive shooting cases. I’ll tell ya’ll this.. after hearing the instructor discuss cases and reading the book You begin to realize how easy it would be to wind up indicted for what you THOUGHT was a legitimate use of deadly force.
If you’re going to legally carry a firearm I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you gather all the information possible and learn how the law works before you make a mistake that could easily cost you everything you own in legal fees and appeals and still find you jailed.
All you have to do is to get the other guy to draw first. Just like in the old westerns, remember?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I feel you can always learn something , espcially when the law is involved. I also think that if anything negative happened and you did not do the training that could be another piece used against you.
Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts