Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago a friend and I traveled to southeastern Montana and northwestern S. Dakota to hunt pronghorn antelope. I really enjoy the hunting and think antelope is the best wild game meat I've ever tasted.

We lost contact with the landowners where we used to hunt. The area was west of Belle Fourche, S.D. over into the Broadus, MT area. I'd really appreciate it if anyone who can point me to a land owner contact. I'm willing to pay a reasonable trespass fee but don't want to pay a large outfitter fee. We can go self guided ( mainly sitting over water hole from a blind ) as long as there is a huntable population. I am primarily a bow hunter. The friend I would like to bring along has never hunted antelope - but has done some whitetail hunting out around the Hulette, WY area. I've attached a pic of what I'm looking for ! 8 >)

If it's worth anything, I could help set up an Indiana whitetail hunt in exchange.

Thanks very much in advance. Please p.m. either with information or your phone number so we can discuss.

amboy 49

·
Registered
604 Posts
I live near Sturgis SD. Plenty of antelope here. I shot one by my house two weeks ago. I can help you find a place to hunt.
Bruce Bowen
605-490-1139

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
They're called "speed goats" in Oregon.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It's been about five years since I've hunted antelope in Montana, so my info may be a little dated. At that time you could apply for a bowhunting only, multi-region antelope tag through the annual draw. Since the licenses were unlimited, you were guaranteed to draw unless you screwed up the application. There were many places to hunt at no charge through the Block Management Access Program. During the gun season some of these places had some competition, but during the bow season competition should be a lot less. The website above describes what is available.

I've never hunted South Dakota, but it would be worth the price of a call to talk to Bruce Bowen about it. I have hunted antelope in Wyoming. My experience is that it was very difficult to draw a tag in units with much public land. In units with mostly private land it was easy to draw, but very tough to get access to hunt without connections.

·
Registered
709 Posts
"Antelope is the best wild game meat I've ever tasted"... You need your taste buds checked! But what do I know; I've only killed 15 pronghorn bucks. If you love that, I think I've got some Javelina and an old Orix in the freezer. We do know where there is a skunk. LOL AJ

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Mt is still suffering a major setback in the Antelope population. Just a warning if you decide to come up here and hunt.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
There seems to be two opinions about the taste of antelope - people either like it or really hate it. I suspect it depends on the way it is hunted and handled after. Most hunters I've talked to who don't care for the meat shoot running antelope. I've always done the spot and stalk method, shooting them when they are unaware anyone is around. I'll bet adrenaline makes the meat very strong tasting. Also you should be careful to avoid getting hair or musk on the meat, and cool the carcass quickly.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I've had really good tasting antelope venison and I've had some that wasn't so good. I think Pocatello is right, it depends a lot on whether the animal was run a lot before being killed. Think about it, if you're gonna' butcher a steer you don't chase 'im five miles with the pickup before you shoot 'im?

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
If you want to eat pronghorn, shoot for the lungs. Avoid heart shots as the adrenalin makes them gamey and goaty and tastes just plain bad. If killed quickly, field dressed, skinned and cooled quickly it is very mild and good tasting, even the trophy bucks. Bill

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have had it cooked deep pit bar-b-que style. Very tasty. Then again, anything cooked in a deep pit is pretty good.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I will never be a believer that pronghorn can taste good. Yep I have done all the 'right' things like dropping the buck in his tracks and getting the quarters off with in 30 minutes of the kill, getting the meat on ice right after that and storing in a walkin cooler. Still not my thing but it makes very decent jerky and the remnants I cook up and chop into dog chow. When I think of good eating big game animals, I think of a young cow elk - now that is good stuff.

But getting back to the op's original question, northern NV has very good antelope numbers and most of the ground is open BLM. Non-Residents have lower draw odds than residents but archery tags are reasonably easy to draw. The draw application process opens in mid march and closes in mid april and is easy enough to do.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Deer or Antelope, I think what the animals diet consists of also effects the taste of the venison. If they've been living on juniper and pine needles it can taste a little "gamey" OTOH if they've been fattening up out in the wheat fields it's better tasting.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I believe many are turned off by the characteristic odor they have after being gutted. But IMO are good eating meat.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unloader,

Very nice display in a great interior. Sad to say my wife won't let me keep everything in the house. Only a select few. I can't resist - maybe this will prompt others to post their display.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts