Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone uses wax on wood stock? If so, which one.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've used carnuaba gun wax before with good results, but I imagine Johnsons paste wax would work also. Buff out with a lint free cloth and try to generate some heat when buffing.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have used wax on the Tru Oil finished stocks that I have. I used the stock wax made by Birchwood Casey the same company that makes the Tru Oil product. You can find it at some Walmarts.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
NO.

Unless it's the night before taking it to the gun show.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Howards Feed n Wax available at Home Depot. I use it on my Beretta oil stock about every 6 weeks or if I was shooting in the rain. Works good. A little goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
13,511 Posts
The wax typically used is carnauba - it is the hardest natural wax in nature.

The finish that is applied is typically carnauba melted in to boiled linseed oil - with some Japan drier added.

A few drops of this massaged into the stock by hand is the best treatment for an oiled stock - best done with a glass of you favorite adult beverage while sitting next to a warm fire on a cold, rainy/snowy night.

·
5,444 Posts
B/C gun stock wax... great on my 90T...

·
Registered
578 Posts
All good suggestions. The only problem I have had is that if the pores in the wood are somewhat open, the wax will accumulated in them and leave white spots that are hard to polish out. This was primarily with the Birchwood Casey stock wax product.

·
Premium Member
13,511 Posts
...The only problem I have had is that if the pores in the wood are somewhat open, the wax will accumulated in them and leave white spots that are hard to polish out...

The one I mention is what the English gun trade uses in the original finish on the stocks. The linseed oil is the carrier agent, the carnauba fills the pores. I've never seen a white residue left behind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts