Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a few geese are making it to SE TX. I saw 6 specks flying over my house 3 days ago. My son saw about 50 north of College Station that were headed south. My cousin was dog training near Opelousas. LA a few days ago and said he heard specks flying at night.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Agreed. We saw approx 200 Snows on 10-21-2016 here in Pa. We generally don't see them til
At least Christmas time. Anybody know the weather up in Canada so far?

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
There are lots of teal and diver ducks now in FL. The divers are starting rafts of approx 500. Soon these will grow into the thousands

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Lots of Ringbills in the rice NW Minn. Saw a lot of Canada geese and Snows high flying migrators on Sunday. Still some Woodys and Teal around to. My son is hunting Specks this weekend west of Lincoln Nebraska

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
lot's of Divers showing up this last weekend down here in SW Mn., this weekend should be good.......

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Lots of Teal and Woodys still around just north of St Paul MN. We shot are 12 birds in less than 45 min I was home by 10 am. I will be in NW MN for a Friday hunt before deer season starts I don't think there will be any change in ducks Ringbills - Mallards and Woodys If your not sitting were they want to be they don't even look the decoys.
FullSizeRender.jpg

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saw a few specks this evening otherwise it's looking pretty bleak for opening day, tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Openning day was today. Inspite of great habitat, this is the least amount of geese, I can remember for an opener. Hardly any ducks either.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Not much showing up here in South Dakota as of yet. Still have plenty of resident geese to shoot but in the 70's for the next week. Catching lots of big walleyes right now at some of our local lakes.

Boys shot great antelope and elk so far but we are waiting for the ducks and geese to show up.

Just love this time of year.

Bud

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
Bud, You are scaring me. I have waterfowl hunt scheduled in Kansas Nov 18-20.

(praying for a cold front up north)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
My neighbor's picked corn field had a flock of several thousand mallards in it over the weekend. That's the first sizable flock I've seen here this fall.
Watching them with my spotting scope, they really are fun to watch on the ground.

·
Banned
715 Posts
My neighbor's picked corn field had a flock of several thousand mallards in it over the weekend. That's the first sizable flock I've seen here this fall.
Watching them with my spotting scope, they really are fun to watch on the ground.
And they taste even better with their feets sticking-up out'a the rice !

·
Registered
254 Posts
I stopped hunting ducks and geese in South Africa, primarily because it was a chore to prepare and it never came out quite as I would have liked.

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I stopped hunting ducks and geese in South Africa, primarily because it was a chore to prepare and it never came out quite as I would have liked.

Would you mind sharing the recipe?
I just took some Mallards Teal and Woodys Breasted them out cut breasts into 3/8 inch strips marinated the in Teriyaki for six hours cut up some onions and green peppers then stir fry. Add some real homemade egg roles from the Asian market with some sticky rice. That's good eating.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Still no new ducks in NW Minnesota maybe even less ducks. On the good note the bucks are cruzn for does. In three days of hunting temps close to 70 for a high we never saw a doe only bucks cruzn biggest was a 7 pointer

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Tried to get a decent picture with my phone this morning but that didn't work very well.

I'm surprised that the mallards have been in this field for a week now. Normally they don't stay very long.

IMG_20161111_073039_686.jpg

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Still lots of birds up in Canada from what I've been told and read about, thinking when they come thru you better be ready, looks like a good front coming in next weekend should move some stuff around......

1 - 20 of 73 Posts