Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to get a RELIABLE semi-auto for my son's birthday. What about a Rem. V-3? Rem Versa Max? Any others I should consider? Don't really care about cost.

Thanks for any ideas. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Want to get a RELIABLE semi-auto for my son's birthday. What about a Rem. V-3? Rem Versa Max? Any others I should consider? Don't really care about cost.

Thanks for any ideas. :)
I like the versa max. I've been shooting 1oz loads through it for 5 stand without a hiccup. I have not patterned steel through it yet to see how the factory chokes pattern steel, but overall I'm very happy with it. It just plain works. Ymmv.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
I hunt waterfowl over 70 days a year on average. The best pointing gun I found was a Beretta extreme plus. Mine is camo. I have a few Beretta models but the 26 inch barrel is my favorite surprisingly.

I'm not knocking the other models, but what I am saying is that with my waders and hunting coat on this gun fits me. And I think that matters especially for the second and third shot.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Lit,
If he will be shooting any 3-1/2" shells get the VersaMax. If not, the V3 will be the better choice. It shoots softer even than an 1100 but the stock has no action tube [it is in the receiver] to consider so if he needs to adjust the stock at any time it is much simpler. And the V3 is lower cost, even though you stated it is not a factor. Both have the most reliable gas system available and will shoot light loads and magnums without changing anything.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you decide on a beretta My only advice would be to wear a pair of heavy gloves as you might waterfowl hunting and see how you like the small trigger guard. Beretta hasn't embraced the idea of a larger guard as others manufacturers have for there hunting guns. It was a deal breaker for me when I was looking for another duck gun. A friend of mine just got a v3 pro. I'm dying to shoot it at the skeet range to see how it handles. I hunt a lot of waterfowl and I think that the enlarged bolt handle and bolt release are a lot of useless hype. I never find myself searching for either or feel disadvantaged without them. The enlarged bolt releases do catch cat tail and switchgrass debris because they protrude from the receiver. I've seen it more than once. Good luck in your search and nice of you to treat your son.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts