Found the guy (the first guy) who offers cash (no 'bad' checks from across the country) who had seen the bbl first hand and accepted it (no returns as 'not as advertised') with no shipping involved (darn, looks like UPS turned it into a canoe).
It's a bad deal for you, but he's only looking at reducing his own exposure. Can't fault him for that.
What a way to start the day. One lesson life teaches us that there is no way to placate a cry baby. While I have learned much in my life about people, I trust my first instinct most of the time. I ignored the cry babies 5 phone calls, numberous stories about how I was asking too much for the barrel and my general impression that this was a whinner who was of dubious credability, I thought I might help him out. Whoa is me.
Yes it is true, I made a little more money. Yes, it is true I tried to let the whinner down easy, with an explantion he did not warrant (true or not). The bottom line is, I sold the barrel to someone else, who was present to inspect the damage to the barrel and accept or reject the product.
For the past five years I have traded on this site, most very good...this one an interesting motivation to go to the gym and put a name on the speed bag.
Good luck and good shooting. No further comments will be forth coming from me.
I think that he is a man of his word. He had accepted a deal from the first fellow so he was obligated. I lost several hundred dollars on a car sale in the same way. I had agreed to sell my 65 Corvair to a fellow at work for $900. After a few weeks of no money I put a for sale sign on the car and put it in the front yard. A gentleman offered me $1100 on Sunday and would bring the money over on Monday. Sunday night the fellow from work called and said that he was finally able to get the money and could he stop by on Monday and get the car. I told him yes and called the other gentleman back and explained the situation. He was disappointed but understood that an obligation is just that. I lost money to keep my word but that does not make it any different than the situation that ChiefJon was put in.
--- Chip King ---
I would say the explaination was reasonable and that you should accept it at face value ... I have met ChiefJon face to face and would not hesitate to deal with him ... You were number two in line, thats the way it goes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
Well I have been a buyer and seller many times over. In my opinion if you have a deal struck with someone then you should consider it sold pending funds. If you had a deal with someone who no matter what they offered to pay for it backs out and does a no show and does not call you to set up a new deal then that deal is dead. If you then decide that the original buyer is not going to come through so you respond to someones WTB ad and offer the item to them and then except their offer then it once again is sold pending funds. Until that new buyer falls through the item is theres. In all do respect the seller did screw over the new buyer. He should have never offered the item for sale to the new buyer and excepted a value less then he was wanting. It is not about making more money etc etc, its about honoring a deal you struck with someone. When the original buyer backed out and did not communicate to the point the seller decided to seek another buyer their deal was over. I am not sure its a good idea to air your experience on an open forum, but you did. Thats the cry baby part. I have sold guns and had offers that were better right after I agreed to sell it to someone else but could not take them. I just sold a very expensive pistol online yesterday and it sold in less then 20 min! I guess I should have asked for more since I had in less than an hour 20 emails! However, I sold it for what I felt was fair and should see the money Tuesday. If I don't then it goes back up for sale in the event the buyer does not communicate as to why I have not received the payment when he said I would. I guess to me thats what it comes down to, if your original buyer asked for more time for what ever reason then your deal is still active and it is up to you if you wait on them. I would assume he didn't communicate which is why you tried to sell it to someone else. So bottom line the guy who posted this thread should have gotten it, and the seller shouldn't bitch about getting less from this buyer since he agreed to sell it at that price.
I had someone who wanted to sell a rifle who emailed me, we spoke on the phone and I offered him what I was willing to pay. He agreed to the offer and we made plans to meet up and do a FTF sale. He was out of town and said he could not meet for over a week. I agreed to this and then about 20 min after hanging up the phone I see him post a new ad selling the rifle for 200 more then my offer (figured he has some wiggle room then). I sent the guy an email and told him I saw his ad and to consider my offer off the table. The guy was shocked and asked why. I told him we had a deal, if you think having a week to see if you can get more is cool and if you do you call me and tell me you sold it and I am screwed doesn't work for me. I considered the item bought, I would have met him that day but waited because of him. By me considering it bought means I would be passing on other rifles that may come up, just as this guy wanting a shotgun barrel. FYI its been over a month and the rifle is still for sale, now for less then my offer. Guess he should have taken my cash offer. Hope the guy learned a big lesson.
I bought a gun from ChiefJon, and everything was on the up and up. He brought the gun to a half-way point (which he didn't really need to trouble himself to do) and let me shoot it, inspect it for damage, anything I wanted prior to the purchase. A little bargaining, a handshake and some money and the deal was done. I would trade with him again.
Looks like you discovered the retiree is not a man of his word. Interesting how he spins his story: "I ignored the cry babies 5 phone calls", please explain? Then he thinks the buyer is of "dubious credability"? Seems the seller is the one with the credibilty issue here.
Ron , I`m with you on this . He answered your add and confirmed a deal . Thats what should have been concidered when he met the other guy at the shoot whether it was more money or not . The other guy reniged on him first and Jon should have honored your agreement , less money and all . Sorry for your loss and I hope you get the barrel that your looking for .
"Yes it is true, I made a little more money. Yes, it is true I tried to let the whinner down easy, with an explantion he did not warrant (true or not). The bottom line is, I sold the barrel to someone else, who was present to inspect the damage to the barrel and accept or reject the product."
Where in this statement does it say or indicate that the guy he sold the barrel to FTF is the same guy that stiffed him in the first place. I read it as another guy altogether...which is reneging on Ron's deal...but I can be wrong.
I have to side with zlastone on this one. If a man's word can be purchased for an extra $10, he's not much of a gentleman to work with. He may have been great on some other sales but this one put's him down at the bottom of my list.
Can't believe someone would welch on a sale for a few extra bucks.
I got the idea the first sale was a pending sale and nothing more or less ... Its also not uncommon to accept back up offers in case the first sale does not materialize for any or what ever reason ... I sold a case on here and had multiple offers on it after accepting another mans offer ... I E Mailed each person who responded as to the position and what was taking place ... The initial offer went through without a hitch and all of the others were forgotten about ... A done deal is a done deal and them are the ones that count, all others don't matter ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
How confusing !!!!! It seems that, depending upon ones perspective, Jon is a crook, zlastone is a crook, both are crooks, or neither are crooks. Does that about cover the possibilities? Damn funny however it turns out.