Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy was shooting these last weekend, and they were sticking really bad in his sub gauge tubes. (In a K-80) He stopped using them after 3 stations.

Another buddy called me and said they cracked his tubes. Here is a pic. If you have subgauge tubes, recommend you don't shoot the 20 ga Challenger ammo in them.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Wooooow. Are we sure it was the shell? They are a North American Shell, I can't image the pressures being high enough to do that on a factory shell....but factories can make errors as well.

Reactions: The Canuck

· Registered
1,293 Posts
I cannot speak for 20 ga ammo but I have shot many cases of challenger 12 ga target loads in numerous different guns and never had an issue, would be interested to hear the outcome of this, my guess is it's not the ammo that caused the problem

Reactions: The Canuck

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Wooooow. Are we sure it was the shell? They are a North American Shell, I can't image the pressures being high enough to do that on a factory shell....but factories can make errors as well.
20 ga tubes are known to crack. There are various warnings on certain powders to not use them if shooting 20 ga tubes. 20 ga tubes are very thin.

· Registered
15,230 Posts
I was told by a Canadian friend that Challengers cracking 20ga tubes is a common problem in Canada. Before last year we never saw Challenger ammo in the US, which explains why this is a recent problem for most people.

I would guess since relatively few people use 20ga tubes in Canada, getting the pressure as low as possible is not a concern for them as it is for target loads made domestically.

· Registered
441 Posts
Challenger ammo is made in France, Cheddite. Also I would never use anything but brass hull ammo AA, STS, or older Federal. As stated above 20 gauge tubes are known to crack.
The Challenger 20 gauge I have seen is 1200 fps 7/8 ounce.

· Registered
13,524 Posts
You have to remember that all sub-gauge ammo have one thing in common. The pressures are all higher than that of 12 ga. ammo. Its very possible that the Challenger ammo has pressures on the very high end of the allowed range. Anyone who shoots sub-gauges reloads the 20 as low as possible. But just like in Trap. Many Skeet shooters now just buy 20 ga. ammo. As lots of them don't think its worth their time to reload it anymore. Both Briley and Kolar have come out with tube-sets that allow the shooters to shoot tin-based steel base shells now. 15 years ago, most every skeet shooter had to reload all their own ammo. Or buy new factory brass based ammo for the older sub-guage tube-sets. Most have shooters now have the new sets that can shoot any shell. I Have seen several clubs near me bring in the Challenger shells for their customers to buy. Its all many can get right now. I hope this info gets out quickly to the rest of them. break em all jeff

· Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nothing on pressure that I could find anywhere. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen pressures on manufactured loads. I guess we'd have to test it if we really want to know. Same with barrels...
These things are being shot because they are the only ammo in town. The word is getting out to the tubed-gun community to avoid them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.