Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 52 POUND 10YOA DAUGHTER THAT HAS DECIDED ITS TIME TO START SHOOTING SKEET WITH DAD. SO I'M LOOKING FOR A REMINGTON 1100 IN .410 TO START HER OUT WITH. HOPEFULLY SOMEONE HAS ONE THATS BEEN HIDING IN THE SAFE THAT THEIR KID STARTED WITH. PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH ANY YOU MIGHT HAVE OR PLACES I CAN LOOK TO FIND ONE.
THANKS

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have a v/r 1148 with briley screw in choke, very good cond. Would that be something that would work? Never seen another like it. If interested let me know.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not trying to tell your 10 year old what she wants.....but you should get her the 1100 in 28 GA. Same price. No difference in recoil. A lot more pellets going out the barrel which will give her more success. She will actually have a chance.

Starting a new shooter with a 410 is a sure path to frustration.

·
Registered
816 Posts
There are three 1100 .410's on the GunsAmerica.com website. Look under Remington Autoloaders trap and skeet. They aren't cheap. The skeet version the guy wants almost $1,000 for. The other two are $750.

I agree with the guy above. A .410 for a new shooter will almost insure they see less recoil cause they will quit real quick. Not breaking anything will cause her to lose interest fast. The .28 will give her a chance to hit something plus it won't kick much anyway. If the gun fits her, has a good pad, and you teach her how to stand and hold the gun, she'll have no trouble with the 28 ga. and she'll enjoy shooting cause she'll break something.

Another way might be to look for a used 12 ga. auto with a recoil absorber type system on the butt and load 7/8th oz. loads for it. I did that when my daughter started and the gun did not recoil at all. I would have been willing to put the butt on my nose and pull the trigger, it was that soft. The combination of the recoil absorber, a bit heavier gun, and what amounted to a light 20 ga. load in a 12 ga. shell, it was a pleasure to shoot and she could break something with it. Then when she got older, I just started her with some light 1 oz. 12 ga. loads.

Mark Zauhar

·
Registered
14,803 Posts
I agree with the previous posts that a .410 is not a good choice. A 20 gauge auto loader loaded down to 3/4 oz. shot with light loads would be very soft shooting.

You could buy another stock and cut to fit her, and then as she grows re-install the orignial stock. Some of the older Berettas 303s didn't handle light loads very well, so a 1187 or 1100 20 gauge would be your best bet.

Also, if she quits to chase boys in 5 years, at least you have a full length 20 ga. to shoot or sell.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have one with vent rib. I think it has a mod choke. It is as-new. I don't think it has been fired 25 times. I would sell for $800 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Since you are already a skeet shooter it should not be necessary to explain the virtures of a 28ga vs a 410. If she is truly enthused with learning to shoot with dad the recoil of a 28ga is not going to discourage her. The most important factor is going to be gun fit and weight. Personally I would look for a low end 28ga overunder and have it fitted with a gracoil or similar recoil reducer. Whatever you do it can be a great investment in the relationship between father and child.

Robert

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
The 1100 28ga is a sweet shooting gun. They pattern well. Low recoil and much better at breaking clays than the 410.

410's should be reserved for those who already know how to shoot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
28 ammo is high priced...being a skeet shooter you may reload and cost may not be as much a factor. I second the 1100 in a 20 gauge with 3/4 oz reloads....very soft shooting...all the free yellow hulls you will ever need....a 28 load in a 20 hull.

Safety first, check her eye dominance, keep the first few outtings short and sweet, and make it fun. You are a good Daddy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.