Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
over the years, I have known shooters who basically shoot in the same clothing. Some are superstitcious, some strongly believe that diiferent shooting shirts, different shooting sweaters and vest actually change their sight picture when mounting the gun.

The wierdest thing I ever saw was when a guy shot the Wisconsin state singles championship in a Bob Allen winter coat in the month of July??? I asked him if he was cold, and he laughed and said I just can't shoot good scores without shooting in this coat?

I did not see his name on the list winning scores, nor did I hear if he collasped fron heat exhaustion either.

Do you believe that shooting in different clothing changes your sight picture resulting in poor scores? Do you usually shoot in the same clothing? Are you supersticious to change shooting clothing, or do you feel there is validity to shooting in the same clothing?
Steve Balistreri

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Don't know for sure Steve, but I do know I've never seen "The Literalist" shoot in the same tutu on consecutive days.

Which tells me he must have a closet full of them. LOL

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,769 Posts
Steve, I believe this to be a serious question, not from the standpoint of wearing exactly the same clothing, for superstitious reasons; but the same layers in combination, to achieve a uniform thickness, which definitely impacts LOP. I wear a variety of shirts w/wo pads as well as shooting jackets in various combinations to achieve a consistent thickness in the shoulder area.

best...mike

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Here's a tip regarding clothing that is guaranteed to help...

Turn your underwear around 180º(briefs). It helps you keep a upright stance and to swing from your knees.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,769 Posts
Weight loss (or gain) also enters into the equation. Never mind the butt crack quotient. ;-)

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
So the old trapshooter who always wore his "lucky shirt" was really on to something?

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do believe that consistency in shooting attire can only help. With one target meaning the difference between winning or losing a tournament, why take a chance?
Steve

·
Registered
488 Posts
Shannon391, I have never tried Depends! Do they help improve scores, if so I am willing to try them. Do you wear pants over them, or is it acceptable to just wear them by themselves?

·
Registered
353 Posts
In the mountains in NC and GA in winter, I have two types of outfits. A Browning winter coat with shell pockets and not too bulky. I will wear various layers underneath as our temps vary from 25-40 with wind (esp in mountains).

In summer I wear light clothing and a light mesh vest.

I change recoil pads for the season. I shoot a CG Trap combo and find that the diffedrent lengths of recoil pads will make my relationship with the gun fairly consistant.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have a "lucky" shirt that I started wearing in the early 70s and wore it for 15-20 years even though the pattern on the right shoulder has disappeared from so much recoil. I broke a lot of 100s with that shirt but it's a little small for me now. Larry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.