Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I realize I'm talking about WalMart and as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for" even in customer service! The closest WM to me is a few miles away just across the state line. There are no larger retail sporting goods stores in the area. I was looking for some 28 Gauge shells . I checked the one that is in our county and they were out of stock. I then called the one just over the state line. After being put on hold/ignore for 5 min., I called back ( it is only 13 miles away but since it is across the state line it is a long distance phone charge), I finally got ahold of "miss clueless" in Sporting Goods. YES, she was the sporting goods associate, NO they DID NOT have any 28 Ga. shells and definitely DID NOT carry them, only 20 and 12 Ga. . YES she was SURE about that and had NEVER seen any in the store (ever) ! I thanked her and hung up. A couple of days later I was going up there to the hardware store and stopped in WM to get a few things for my wife. I did ,as I always do , make a trip through sporting goods. There on the shelf just above the phone were no less than 8 boxes of 28 Ga. shells! They had dust on the top boxes so they didn't just get there!When she took my phone call, they couldn't have been more than 4 feet from her head!! It was clear to me that this person was simply TOO LAZY to even turn around and LOOK! Walmart does have some good people and I am friends with some of them but their management (term used loosely) policy of just sticking warm bodies in a department as a sales clerk for some something they know little or nothing about (and often could care less) is very irritating at times !

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
slide action,
No better in your home state, was at WM in Danville KY this week and sales person asked what I was looking for,
I told him Winchester AA's in handicap load, AAHA127 to be exact, he had no idea, just turned and walked away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unfourtunatlly I'm finding this more and more as well. I kind of understand the issue at WalMart because they just take whatever associate is on the schedule and throw them on the sporting goods counter. No training or knowledge about what they are selling is required.

What bothers me more is I'm starting to see this at Bass Pro as well. Ask for a specific item, and unless it's hunting or tactical related the associates do not have a clue. The last time I was in there I asked if they had any trap O/U shotguns and the guy behind the counter handed me a field gun with a 26" barrel. He told me a trap gun is any gun you shoot trap with.

Worse still are the small locally owned gun shops who say the same types of things with the same lack of knowledge.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I went into a Walmart one time that had all of the shotgun shell boxes stacked upside down and backwards so you couldn't read what loads they were. Then I went to buy some motor oil and about half of the motor oil was sitting on the shelf backwards.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The closest Walmart to us which is 5 miles away from our home has a terrible sporting goods section. When I retire in a couple of years I'll need something to do so I'll go to the Walmart store and see if I can manage the sporting goods section. It would be fun and hopefully be able to help my fellow trap shooters.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yup, last month a local Walmart marked a bunch of their shells down because the manager said they were a year old. AA & Nitros were $5 a box and Super Target were $4 a box. AA .410 were $7 a box. I bought a crap load then called a friend & he did the same. Go figure. Colonel

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
You want service from a knowledgable person, Walmart is not the place. If you know what you want and want it to be inexpensive, go to Walmart. With my daughter's discount, they have Federal dove loads which are the same as the Federal 4 packs for $5 a box out the door. That is all I need to know.

Mike

·
Registered
15,461 Posts
Why patronize Walmart? Former employer of Hillary.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Not surprising. I don't think WM Canada even sells trap loads. Never been in the Supercenter since it opened 10 years ago so can't be sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mostly hit and miss with people in there sporting goods - some have it and some don't - its the luck of the draw.....

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
And so goes the rest of the country. Check the voting records, decision makers, and planning. Those that have a clue are helpless against big money.......m

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My local Wal-Mart actually does have some people that work in the sporting goods section that know what they are doing. They have about 2 of them but occasionally one of them is not there and yes that person has no clue. Heck at the local Dick's sporting goods, for quite some time they never even staffed anyone in the sporting goods area. You had to buzz them and then one of the 10 people they had selling cloths or golf equipment would come back there.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Nice Cast there Slide!!! ----SPIT!!!----You've been posting here for 18 1/2 years and just now figured out that Walmart's hired help is clueless most of the time!!! I can't buy that!!! LOL break em all Jeff

PS Watch out, as Tron likes to get even with Troll's who enter his domain!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts