Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought my limit of 3 100 packs a few weeks ago in RI. Price increased to $31 per 100...first time I have purchased in 1 1/2 years. I check every time I go to Wally's and was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
I had a friend bring me some 20ga Winchester AA ammo from Walmart a few years back. I noticed that instead of the typical printing on the shell, it just had AA. I shot some of it and noticed more recoil and more smoke. I checked and found the barrel quite dirty. It is clear that Walmart is able to order ammunition that is sub-standard and not the same as Winchester AA ammo bought at other locations.

·
Registered
34,298 Posts
I had a friend bring me some 20ga Winchester AA ammo from Walmart a few years back. I noticed that instead of the typical printing on the shell, it just had AA. I shot some of it and noticed more recoil and more smoke. I checked and found the barrel quite dirty. It is clear that Walmart is able to order ammunition that is sub-standard and not the same as Winchester AA ammo bought at other locations.
I bought AA’s for years from Walmart and never had that problem.

First, I doubt Winchester has two price levels or run two separate lines of AA’s. The cost of doing so would not be worth it. I cannot believe Winchester would package a substandard product with their AA brand all over, no matter who the retailer was. Their Super Sport and Universal line is the cheaper Winchester products.

Second, it could be you happened to get a bad production lot, or the shells were quite old.

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
I bought AA’s for years from Walmart and never had that problem.

First, I doubt Winchester has two price levels or run two separate lines of AA’s. The cost of doing so would not be worth it. I cannot believe Winchester would package a substandard product with their AA brand all over, no matter who the retailer was. Their Super Sport and Universal line is the cheaper Winchester products.

Second, it could be you happened to get a bad production lot, or the shells were quite old.
A long time ago I was coaching little league. I bought a bag of baseballs, they said official little league on them. They did not last a practice, had flat spots every time you hit one. Felt like hitting rocks. Walmart sells a lot of product that looks like the real thing, but is not.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Stopped at our local gun shop on way home and spotted 5 boxes of Win AA 1oz trap loads, got all excited till the owner told me they were $19.95 per BOX. Need less to say they are still on the shelf.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if the manager of a particular Wal-Mart makes a difference. A Wal-Mart in a smaller town, approx. 16,500, about 30 miles from here, regularly has shells. The city I live in, 125,000, and two stores, with neither rarely having anything.

·
Registered
34,298 Posts
A long time ago I was coaching little league. I bought a bag of baseballs, they said official little league on them. They did not last a practice, had flat spots every time you hit one. Felt like hitting rocks. Walmart sells a lot of product that looks like the real thing, but is not.
Sorry, but your comparison is complete nonsense. You are buying a bag of cheap baseballs made in China, All Winchester AA’s are made in East Alton, IL, USA. They do not run separate lines of AA’s, other than shot sizes, load charges and velocity, standard trap in lights, heavies and handicap and low noise.

If you want to believe what you are saying, it’s no problem, other people will buy those AA’s from Walmart.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
That is entirely untrue. Walmart does not ask, or want suppliers to alter their own brand items for them. It would be a lose-lose proposition for both.
Now, if the shells were labelled "Ozark Trail" (Walmart's outdoor generic brand) I'd probably put them on the same (low) level as Federal's "Game & Target" (or whatever they were), and not touch them.

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
It is amazing how far people will go to believe what they want to believe. Those 20 ga AAs were real and they were junk. Walmart does this with everything they sell. I am well aware of the almost religious level of devotion some have for Walmart. I will not comment on it further, but a bunch of you are fooling yourselves.

·
Registered
34,298 Posts
It is amazing how far people will go to believe what they want to believe. Those 20 ga AAs were real and they were junk. Walmart does this with everything they sell. I am well aware of the almost religious level of devotion some have for Walmart. I will not comment on it further, but a bunch of you are fooling yourselves.
Yes,, “it is amazing how far people will go to believe what they want to believe.” Down right hilarious when they say it or put in print. Walmart does pressure brand names to produce products under Walmart generic labels, but Winchester is not going to package inferior grade shells in the AA boxes.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Believe what you want. I have worked for Walmart for 16 years, have bought lots of various there products that people believe "are made to a lower standard for Walmart" (for instance, Remington's guns and ammo. Ask Scott Haynes about that. Go ahead, I'll wait... )

I have also bought products (like ammo ) from other retailers, including some that regard themselves as 'swanky' and had the odd bad one. It happens. I don't down talk them. (for that anyway :sneaky: ) Walmart usually takes care of such when they happen, but by Federal Law, cannot with ammo or guns. (Of couse, a gun can be shipped to the maker, or authorized service center, and ammo makers will usually make it right, send a new box, etc.)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Never had a issue with name brand products at Wal mart more than anyplace else. But once Sam was gone the corporate picture changed and I buy less there. The town in Illinois I went to High School let Wal mart build and it closed down all the small businesses as they (town) new it would with the garantee to stay from Wal mart. Now they are gone and all that is left is a Dollar General and grocery store. So tax revenue is going out of town and jobs are gone

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
I have been very surprised at how many people defend Walmart. We have all seen small towns taken over, and family owned business closed down. It is common knowledge that Walmart can place and order so big, with a price limit, that almost any product can be made, second rate, to fill the order. I wonder if people feel guilty for shopping there. Some of the reaction will be almost violent, with personal insults. It is ironic to see the ultra cheap, Dollar General taking over. China will not need ballistic missiles to take us over, they will buy us out.

·
5,691 Posts
Never had a issue with name brand products at Wal mart more than anyplace else. But once Sam was gone the corporate picture changed and I buy less there. The town in Illinois I went to High School let Wal mart build and it closed down all the small businesses as they (town) new it would with the garantee to stay from Wal mart. Now they are gone and all that is left is a Dollar General and grocery store. So tax revenue is going out of town and jobs are gone
That is a pattern that has happened throughout the U.S. Walmart comes in, builds with tax incentives, offers lower prices which displace existing business and then cannot sustain itself... closes and leaves the towns in worse shape...

Dollar General, Family Dollar and other "dollar" stores are "cheap", but you have to watch the unit pricing...

Reactions: ganger

·
Registered
34,298 Posts
I have been very surprised at how many people defend Walmart. We have all seen small towns taken over, and family owned business closed down. It is common knowledge that Walmart can place and order so big, with a price limit, that almost any product can be made, second rate, to fill the order. I wonder if people feel guilty for shopping there. Some of the reaction will be almost violent, with personal insults. It is ironic to see the ultra cheap, Dollar General taking over. China will not need ballistic missiles to take us over, they will buy us out.
It is not a case of protecting Walmart, it is a case of you saying, believing and trying to convince others of a bunch of nonsense about Winchester.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts