Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to local Walmart to pickup some shells for a small shoot a couple weeks out. They had 5 boxes of Fed 12 GA I needed. Went to the counter told the clerk I needed some shells. She said store manger told them they are not selling shells anymore. The full cases were going back to the distributor and single boxes to be donated to Police dept. She was polite, said Sorry. I walked out disappointed.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
How urban is your walmart? One local to me is fairly suburban and still selling ammo as of yesterday.

Walmarts in riot/looting prone areas have been hiding their ammo in the warehouse, so that may be the more likely scenario and they aren't telling people lest the loot the warehouse as well.

·
Registered
32,293 Posts
Individual store/department decision.

Reactions: H M and entropy

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Some walmarts are run by anti gun liberals . Some also bow to liberal pressure in from Mayors in liberal areas . Wally World doesn't have a clue About customer service , the shooting sports , and really doesn't care about serving customers , Especially Shooters ! As long as they are making millions off of Yuppies, Soccer Moms ,and Teenie Boppers They could give a rip !

·
Banned
789 Posts
Our local Wally stocks plenty of shotgun ammo.....currently the inventory is low due to corona they tell me but it keeps trickling in...

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
No issue finding shotgun ammo in my local store. I think others have it right that it is a decision made at the local manager's level.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Western NE racks are full of long guns and shelves full of all types of ammo in three stores I checked.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I hope that's not nationwide
It's not.

Individual store/department decision.
Rick is correct. If either the Store Manager or the Sporting Goods Dept. Mgr. doesn't want to stock them, that store won't. The Store Manager (if they wanted to and the Dpt. Mgr. didn't) could overrule a Dept. Mgr., and they would likely remove them also in that case.

Our local Wally stocks plenty of shotgun ammo.....currently the inventory is low due to corona they tell me but it keeps trickling in...
Dept. Mgrs. cannot manually order ammo at this point. They get what replaces POS (Point Of Sale) sales at modular levels only. I don't know if this going to be an ongoing thing or not. I sure hope not.

·
Registered
32,293 Posts
Dept. Mgrs. cannot manually order ammo at this point. They get what replaces POS (Point Of Sale) sales at modular levels only. I don't know if this going to be an ongoing thing or not. I sure hope not.

Not too long ago, I asked if I could order cases of shells and was told they can’t, they get what they get.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in a Rural area with 5 small cities within 30 minutes each direction. Walmart is in the largest City. I don't shop there that often but always check out their shells. I noticed three weeks ago most of the rifle /pistol ammo was gone but still had 4pks 12 and 20 plus single boxes out. Inventory was down some thought they would be restocking. I was actually surprised when they said they weren't selling shells anymore.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Walmart nationwide I believe stopped selling pistol ammo 6-8 months ago. Search previous posts on that......

·
Registered
127 Posts
Our local Wal-Mart superstores are fully stocked with target shot shells in individual boxes and four packs from Estate, Win AA, STS and Federal. I've been buying up Estates for several months. They are very low on hunting shot shells, but if it is like normal they will be stocking up on hunting loads very soon in anticipation of dove season. The gun racks are full of rifles and shotguns along with much common rifle ammo.

I may just be just a local manager's decision not to sell ammo at the OPs Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Went to local Walmart to pickup some shells for a small shoot a couple weeks out. They had 5 boxes of Fed 12 GA I needed. Went to the counter told the clerk I needed some shells. She said store manger told them they are not selling shells anymore. The full cases were going back to the distributor and single boxes to be donated to Police dept. She was polite, said Sorry. I walked out disappointed.
Mine is still fully stocked. Maybe it depends on the location.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Went back to Walmart this morning told clerk I would like to purchase some shotgun shells. Clerk took me over to where the shells were lock up, asked what I wanted. I told him 5 boxes of Federal shells. He took the 5 out, went to counter and he rang them up. He did the background check through DOJ. I walked out with the shells.
Obviously the Lady clerk had a different understanding than the Gentleman this morning or she didn't know how to do the background check on the computer. Helps to double check.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Last year, a friend asked the store manager to order him 10 flats of shells. She called him when the came in. The only issue was having to check out through the register, which took a while. Went back this year and they said they couldn't do that anymore, so he started cleaning out the shelves. They guy over the sporting goods department offered to order all he wanted. It's just a matter of talking to the right person. Most employees either don't know or don't care, maybe both.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts