Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
been buying them all year at my local wally world, but the last batch the crimp quality was poor, several boxes leaking BB's, both in 71/2 and 8's. another guy on our team had the same problem with them earlier this trap season.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Scored!! Found a Walmart about 40 miles west of me. Got all they had ( 5 flats). Clerk looked at me like I had lost my mind. Said he had never had anyone buy that many shells at one time ever.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I checked at the local walmart and they did not have any Gold Medals ... in fact they do not carry any premium shells at all.

My wife was shopping at a walmart further away so I asked her to look into Gold Medals for me. She is not a trap shooter so I had to explain the difference between the "Field and Target" shells, Top Gun, vs the Gold Medals, 12 ga vs 20 ga, 2 3/4 dram etc. She asked the person in the sporting goods area id they had any Gold Medals ... she responded "I've been getting phone calls for the last few days asking that same question ... no we do not have any ! ".

So, my wife went looking anyway. And, voila!! My wife found 3 flats of 2 3/4 dram Gold Medals at $5 clearance price (red price tag). They also had a few flats of 3 drams but I can't shoot them anymore. When my wife told the employee that she found some, the employee responded "Oh, I didn't know we had any ... oh well." My wife even remembered to ask if there were any in the back room ... of coarse the answer was "no".

Typical of walmart employees in the sporting department.

My wife (for the past 50+ years ...) is a real keeper!!!!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Apparently that's the only good thing about K. M. in Canton, Il. having both Fed's and Winchesters, four packs, at $21 and change. Naturally plus tax.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought 4 flats that were still in the cardboard 10 box case. Clerk scanned the UPC code on the side of the case and it came up $5. She asked how many I had. Told her 4. She rang it up for $20. I didn't have the heart to screw Walmart and mess up the inventory. She would likely get in trouble.

·
Registered
21,607 Posts
Had a client shopping at local Walmart today about 10:00 this morning. Thought that I'd just cruise through the sporting goods department to see if there was anything on sale. To my surprise the Top Guns were at $5.00 a box. I got the last 6 boxes. Someone had cleaned several shelve out early. No other stores in area had any. So missed a chance to load up.
The Top Guns are not the same as the Gold Medals this thread is about. Top Guns are an ok shell, but nowhere near the quality of the GM's. $5/box for Top Guns is a decent price, but not spectacular. Just an FYI. If you are happy, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah, I called before I stopped too and they said all they had were the Fed 100 Rd value packs and have never carried the Gold Medals.

Ehh, oh well, they had em when I got there.

I cut one open and have a pink wad 4 pedal wad. Is that the 12S3?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have checked WM Gold Medal inventory online and it will say in stock, but when i call and ask they say out of stock.
Call before you make the trip!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Some employees in Walmarts have never heard of Gold Medals. Ask for the Federal Premium Target loads at the $5 closeout price and they might have those.
My trucker had a freight load from Grand Forks to Fort Worth this week. He's been stopping buying shells for me. He called from Lamar Missouri yesterday afternoon just after hitting the Wally there and I told him I probably have enough for now.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Anyone planning on staying around Sparta after the Grand is over to see if Walmart marks down the GM they have left?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got 3 flats and 7 boxes at the one in Hudson, NH. I left several boxes of the 3 dram behind and now I'm sorry I did that.

·
Registered
259 Posts
A little off the topic but...
I was in my local Wally-world to pick up some Mobil 1, they were stocking shelves with Federal Dove and Small Game
1oz 7-1/2 @ 1290fps on sale at $4.74 per box
Must have had 200 boxes on the display and still stacking.
I grabbed 5 flats.
Dove season just around the corner, although my doves are made of clay.....delicious sautéed in butter.

Bill

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I was near there this morning and thought I'd take a look. Really didn't expect to find any as trap shooting is big
around here. I didn't even take a cart. Was surprised when I saw some. Went back and got a cart. Wasn't a big haul, just
thirty-one boxes. I'll check again over the weekend or Monday. If they restock the shelf I'll empty it again.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Have about 5 Walmarts within an hour of me. Hit em all. Have 19 flats so far. All 2 3/4 dram. About an even split between 8 shot and 7.5 shot. I never touched any of the 3 dram stuff. Still more out there so I let all my SCTP athletes and the other SCTP coaches in the area know where the left overs are so they will be gone by the weekend. Most of the stores that had large supplies on hand still had the shelves marked at $7.87 so no one was taking them. I had them scan them and sure enough $5.00 and start filling up the cart. I could have bought more but this will last me a LONG time and I had to stop somewhere. I still felt weird walking away from $5 premium shells.

Happy Camper - Allen

41 - 55 of 55 Posts