Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Federal Dove and Game loads 12 gauge, #8 or #71/2 ,1200 FPS , 25 per box - $4.94. This is in Rehoboth Beach DE. Irv DE

·
Banned
715 Posts
I assume these are rejects as I opened several boxes to take a look . The ones I checked had at least 4 shells that were under-charged with shot / powder or the wad was collapsed to a point of ,
there was a 1/8'' hole in the crimp ! Will they go Bang ? I'm not sure , as I didn't buy any at $4.94 a box !
I know my reloads that cost the same.....will , go Bang !

·
Registered
292 Posts
As of right now, I've bought all I could find at the two stores I've visited. That total was only 108 boxes 0f 7 1/2's.. I, too, first bought a box and gave them a test. The shell I opened was seven grains short of 1 1/8 ounces. I consider that OK, as I've had to open up ALL of my reloading bushings to get the amount dispensed up to snuff. The powder weighted 16.7 grains, but while that sounds light when compared to tables like Alliant has posted, I'm certain this is a non-canister lot and the velocity will be reasonable. Sunday, I had no difficulty in breaking long, fast targets on a round of difficult sporting clays. The shot is a bit of a different story. I chose 10 pellets at random, measured their diameter, then put them to the crush test to see how hard they were. The diameter averaged 0.0915" or a size 7.85 versus 0.095" for a true 71/2. The crush test was quite good considering these are low priced shells. The test averaged 29.3% deformation. Compare that to the usual 24-25% for AA or STS shells and 44.5% for a shell from a box of Rio Monarch's which averaged a shade over 8 1/2's instead of 8's that are going on sale. The crush test is a system of my design, but it provides an excellent comparison of one sample to another. Before you disparage the shot diameter, I've measured a number of shell lots and bags of shot for reloading. In ten pellets I typically find a one shot size variation between the largest and smallest pellets in the sample, and I have never had a sample that averaged what was on the label. I suggest you do your own testing, because you can bet that there are differences in lots sent to different parts of the country or loads from different machines. The wad was the standard two piece Federal wad and was not deformed.

Johnpe

·
Registered
321 Posts
I bought 3 flats from the Sparta Walmart over the weekend shot the NRA singles at the Grand and shot a pair of 91s, shot the Winchester AA singles on Monday and shot a 93 and a 94, this is 10% over my yearly average, I didn't pick them up and just walked away felt like a champ [which of course I'm not] I'll be stocking up on these in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I bought 3 flats from the Sparta Walmart over the weekend shot the NRA singles at the Grand and shot a pair of 91s, shot the Winchester AA singles on Monday and shot a 93 and a 94, this is 10% over my yearly average, I didn't pick them up and just walked away felt like a champ [which of course I'm not] I'll be stocking up on these in the next few weeks.
Nice shooting!!! It always feels great to shoot above your average no matter what it may be. I call it progress. Good luck and keep making headway.

·
Banned
197 Posts
Nice work! I hope to be able to attend the Grand at some point, glad to see that you made it and over performed.

·
Banned
818 Posts
The WalMart near my house was over loaded with them last week end, today they have very few left ... I asked the Sporting Goods manager if they expected more and he said without a doubt, should be in today or tomorrow ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
Bought boxes today. Examined and weighed shot and powder. Contained 16.9 grs. of unidentified powder and 14 shot short of having the 1 1/8 oz of shot. Should be good for 16 yd, short hcp and dbls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts