Trapshooters Forum banner

Wad shot cup depth

1609 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  wlc
Are there any bad effects from the shot column being a little above the top of the shot cup?

Thanks
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6,754 Posts
Probably not - if you candle most of the premium target ammo that is what you will see. It would be something of a trick to get everything just perfect and still be able to get a good crimp on the shell without folding the wad into the edge of the crimp.

· Registered
3,717 Posts
Up until 1960s hulls were paper--wads were cardboard & felt or soft compressible material or cork etc. with no shot protectors at all, the 1st shot protectors I remember were just a small piece of plastic rolled into a cylinder & inserted into the hull before you dropped the shot charge. A company named Alcan came out with the 1st. practical shot protector called the Quick-Sert, it looked like a circle (O) with a square attached to opposite sides that you just laid on top of the paper hull & pushed down on top of the filler wad, they formed into a cup shape to hold the shot. Worked very well too, I still have a few left somewhere. Ross Puls

· Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
Upon ignition I have to assume that the wad is shoved so hard forward, so quickly, and the mass of the shot being what it is, compresses, so there is no problem.

Whiz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.