Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok! I have loaded these wad before same bag! For some reason the wad sticks to the
Rod that pushes the wad down in hall, when I bring rod up it dumps shoot every where!
Whats going on? I have been loading for 25 years and never had this problem! Nitro hall with
Windjammer wad.
Help?

Thanks Don from Ohio

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
128 Posts
Ok! I have loaded these wad before same bag! For some reason the wad sticks to the
Rod that pushes the wad down in hall, when I bring rod up it dumps shoot every where!
Whats going on? I have been loading for 25 years and never had this problem! Nitro hall with
Windjammer wad.
Help?

Thanks Don from Ohio
Windjammer wad.
Help?

Thanks Don from Ohio

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
128 Posts
NotNot sure why either. Ram tube driving the wad to deep? Maybe try changing the wad ram tube...

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Wad fingers will keep the wad in the hull. Sounds like the shot is getting stuck in the tube and releases when it gets raised. Which dumps it all over the place instead of in the hull. I've had this problem when loading large shot. Never an issue with #6 or smaller.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Maybe the tube is biting into the bottom of the cup? Adjust your wad pressure to near zero. Wad pressure is not necessary and not a part of any modern shotshell recipe. If I use excessive wad pressure to aid in crimping, I'm trying to stuff 10lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag and it comes back to haunt me ... the number one reason crimps open during storage.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Check your wad guide fingers. If they are fine AND your wad is set deep enough to get past them, there is no way the wad can stay stuck on the ram tube. So my guess without seeing your press is that your wad ram tube came loose and slid up to too little wad depth. On MEC presses, the wad ram clamp can come loose, and if it does it will raise up until your wad does not clear the fingers. (Same with the primer seat clamp.) Always a good idea to check them for tight every couple thousand loads.

FWIW, I also set my MEC wad ram to just "bump" the wad pressure gauge --this is less than 5# seat pressure-- but it's enough that I then know the wad is getting seated on top of the powder and the ram has not slipped. Easy to keep an eye on that and the primer drop even on my 9000 powered progressive...

Reactions: dgh

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hold the arm down for a second or two if the problem stops you may be trapping air under the wad pushing it back out of the hull.
Common issue with some combos in subgauge.
You can usually watch this pressure decrease on the wad pressure gauge on the machine when held down.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
I will guess 12ga ?? Set shot/wad tube to 5th notch from top........ should place wad at proper depth for 2 3/4 inch hull and also check to see that charge bar is traveling clear to left and not sticking. If wad is sticking on shot tube it is either not traveling past fingers on wad guide or going so deep as to impale itself on wad base........ Larry

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Does the ram have wad residue on itt? Try cleaning it with an alcohol wipe and make sure there's nothing gummy on it.

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
While I've never had to polish my ram rod. I have removed it, and filed both the inside and outside at the bottom. To remove any small burr's that might have formed over time. I have used a handful of pipe cleaners all at once to run up and down on the inside to clean and smooth the tube as well. This keeps the shot from getting clogged. Just keep adding pipe cleaners until you can't get anymore in the tube. The number will change with the gauge your using. Yes, I've had to do this in all 4 gauges. Another good tip----check your wad guide placement over the hull as well. It may have moved to one side a few degrees? Good Luck to Ya. break em all Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts