Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really appreciate if anyone can ID this 12 ga wad, I thought I was a smarty pants and could figure it out. lol not!
I bought some wads (mixed) , the bag these came in was unmarked of course, some others in the lot were the Sam 1 and some other Remington target load wads- so I originally thought this wad might be a steel shot wad due to the cup molded directly to the bottom of the wad with no compression section. Once I got it in my hands the plastic seems pliable like a target wad not the tuff plastic of the steel shot wads.
I took some dimensions: dia.- about .710 -- OAL- 1.410-.415 -- cup depth about 1.080 ....

As you can see in the pic- the bottom of the cup has a little 1/8" plastic riser (like a little platform) sticking up shaped in a circle and line thru it,
they came with 4 slits about half way down the cup, and the wad has 4 equally spaced little thickened ribs molded into it coming up from the bottom, these little ribs protrude to the inside.

Any help and load data would be awesome ,
dd

Oh, the nice Champion paper is just part of the backdrop
:icon_biggrin:
KIMG0630~2.JPG

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
Check Ballistic web site. They look like they may be for steel shot. Ballistic sells many of the eu made wads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey grunt, thx, I already did that as I buy stuff from them and Precision too. I found nothing that matched. Checking again slowly :3a:

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
They are Alcan C or D wads.
They were used to add filler wadding to adjust the height of the column.

Most Alcan wads were the numbered wads, as in #1 through #6. They came with different height filler wads in them , but the C or D wads came empty and you added the filler wad you wanted.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
They are Alcan C or D wads.
They were used to add filler wadding to adjust the height of the column.

Most Alcan wads were the numbered wads, as in #1 through #6. They came with different height filler wads in them , but the C or D wads came empty and you added the filler wad you wanted.
Yup, looks like the Alcan Flite-Max wads shown in Lymans #1(1969) and #2(1976), but not in later versions.

Reactions: dukdropper

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah- Flite-Max #E !!!
All you guys thanks for the replies, as usual these threads are always filled with bad ass knowledge and expertise. So after the last couple replies, I did some more DD and I will say it has been solved LOL. Curly and Ajax you guys pretty much nailed it my brothers. I will post the pic and couple sentences below that I found on it. It looks like its the Flite-Max #E .........

I'm wondering if anyone has used these in any paper hulls with good data or am I after a pipe dream.

Down memory lane:: This wad had a large plastic shot cup quite similar to the wads used in modern non toxic waterfowl ammo. They also made wads which used different size fiber wads inside the shot cup to fill space for use with lighter shot charges. These were called the Flite-Max wads and the empty cup style was the Flite-Max # E while those with fiber wads came in sizes # 1 to # 6 with the higher number have a higher filler wad inserted. You had to be careful when loading these since sometimes the filler wad would get loose and fall out of the shot cup but they were still a lot faster to load than the multi-wad combinations used earlier.

Flite-Max #E.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,845 Posts
Yeah- Flite-Max #E !!!
All you guys thanks for the replies, as usual these threads are always filled with bad ass knowledge and expertise. So after the last couple replies, I did some more DD and I will say it has been solved LOL. Curly and Ajax you guys pretty much nailed it my brothers. I will post the pic and couple sentences below that I found on it. It looks like its the Flite-Max #E .........

I'm wondering if anyone has used these in any paper hulls with good data or am I after a pipe dream.

Down memory lane:: This wad had a large plastic shot cup quite similar to the wads used in modern non toxic waterfowl ammo. They also made wads which used different size fiber wads inside the shot cup to fill space for use with lighter shot charges. These were called the Flite-Max wads and the empty cup style was the Flite-Max # E while those with fiber wads came in sizes # 1 to # 6 with the higher number have a higher filler wad inserted. You had to be careful when loading these since sometimes the filler wad would get loose and fall out of the shot cup but they were still a lot faster to load than the multi-wad combinations used earlier.

View attachment 1675409
Still have a few bags from the 60's. Believe there are 3 maybe 4 of the different ones. A discount store chain here in KS handled reloading supplies. They elected to dissolve this and my dad bought all the bags they had amongst other items. I really don't remember using alot of them as the WAA12 was already in production and our primary wad for AA and Federal papers.

·
Registered
21,419 Posts
Still have a few bags from the 60's. Believe there are 3 maybe 4 of the different ones. A discount store chain here in KS handled reloading supplies. They elected to dissolve this and my dad bought all the bags they had amongst other items. I really don't remember using alot of them as the WAA12 was already in production and our primary wad for AA and Federal papers.
Gibson’s?

·
Registered
21,419 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts