Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read threads asking for help cleaning wad fouling in barrel. What's with that?

I don't believe I have ever had wad fouling in any barrel I've owned. I get wad fowling in some of my screw-in chokes (mostly smaller gauge, but never in 12 gauge chokes). I have never noticed wad fouling in any of my fixed-choke guns.

I use a lot of promo grade ammo, and a mishmash of wads when I reloaded. Should I just not look this gift-horse in the mouth?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just consider yourself lucky. Fella I shoot with has Perazzi barrels. He doesnt see any barrel wad fouling. Me, seems like every gun I ever had gets it !

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Used to see some lead streaks\fouling before 1 piece wads, haven't noticed any problems with plastic wads. I do run an oily rag down the bbl after shooting, and maybe once or twice a year a few passes with a brass brush followed by an oily patch. Yes the patches do come out dirty.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I do believe some guns are more susceptible to wad fouling. I had a Beretta 687 combo that really liked to build up plastic rather quickly I felt. My BT99+ does as well, but not as quickly by far. My Infinity which also has screw in chokes...might be I just clean it more vigorously, but honestly have never noticed what would be called plastic buildup. Don't shoot the rest of the safe often enough to notice.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there is wad fouling in my barrels, I can't tell it is there. And if I can't tell it is there, what's the problem with it?

Hey, some of those barrels have sub-gauge skeet tubes fitted to them. If the tubes fit after a quick pass with a wolly-stick, there can't be much fowling.

During a winter cabin fever attack I'll probably toss my 20 gauge choke tubes in a bottle of Slip 2000 Choke Cleaner, and for hoots I toss in the 12 gauge choke tubes (I use them a bit for sporting) just to see if wad fowling on them.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
If there is wad fouling in my barrels, I can't tell it is there. And if I can't tell it is there, what's the problem with it?

Hey, some of those barrels have sub-gauge skeet tubes fitted to them. If the tubes fit after a quick pass with a wolly-stick, there can't be much fowling.

During a winter cabin fever attack I'll probably toss my 20 gauge choke tubes in a bottle of Slip 2000 Choke Cleaner, and for hoots I toss in the 12 gauge choke tubes (I use them a bit for sporting) just to see if wad fowling on them.
Zoom,
That method won't do anything as far as removing plastic fouling.
Wooly-sticks remove un burnt powder, that's about it.
Your going to need a wire brush and a good plastic solvent to see the
issue. Bore Snakes and Wooly-Sticks are for cosmetic use.
MG

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Think of wad fouling as a protective plastic coating on the inside of your barrel.
Why would you want to remove it? Also my guns are possessed by demons, any
excessive build up, I let them take care of it. HMB

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Stop looking down the inside of your barrel! Just clean it out once in a while, and that piece of mind should be as far as it goes.

Whoever says that trapshooting is not 97% psychological, is crazy. The other 3% is mental. It may be the other way around at times.

A couple of sports psychologist visits, and shooting a mossberg 500 would be much cheaper, with the same, if not better results. If you add up the costs of backboring, porting, chokes, higher priced guns, etc. to do the same thing, you would have more money to practice, which would make even more difference. Probably pretty boring to talk to though, around the trapshooters table. Everyone talking about what a difference the four pedal wad makes compared to the eight, would probably ask you, why the constant Andy Dufresne smirk on your face after you just beat them.

Reactions: timb99

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
It's been my experience that it is more likely to happen in choke tubes than in fixed choke barrels, but it's there either way.

Some wads are worse foulers than others.

I use Ed's Red and it has some ingredients to dissolve the plastic.

I seriously doubt it affects your patterns, but I have never tested it myself.

For the choke tubes themselves, I remove them from the barrel, pull a bore snake through them, and stand on the "string end" and hold the other end in my left hand. Using a vigorous up and down motion with my hand (you men will recognize this motion... ;-) ) run the choke tube back and forth over the bristles in the bore snake until the choke tube is hot. This gets them shiny clean.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
It's been my experience that it is more likely to happen in choke tubes than in fixed choke barrels, but it's there either way.

Some wads are worse foulers than others.

I use Ed's Red and it has some ingredients to dissolve the plastic.

I seriously doubt it affects your patterns, but I have never tested it myself.

For the choke tubes themselves, I remove them from the barrel, pull a bore snake through them, and stand on the "string end" and hold the other end in my left hand. Using a vigorous up and down motion with my hand (you men will recognize this motion... ;-) ) run the choke tube back and forth over the bristles in the bore snake until the choke tube is hot. This gets them shiny clean.
Too much like work. Just stand them in a 500ml beamer and cover them with mineral spirits ( Stoddard Solvent ) with 5ml Sea Foam added. 30 min. Pull boresnake thorough. Inspect. Repeat if needed.

Delete beamer and insert beaker. Furgum autocorrect.

Reactions: timb99

·
Registered
157 Posts
Zoomy, I'm betting you found the Holy Grail of shotgun barrels= a Cyro BiStarr? Would you please inform us of this magic brand of shotgun you tout of.

Patiently Waiting:coffee-n-news:
Red

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think if you do a deep cleaning every 100 rounds, you may never see the fouling build up . Me, i wait until 1k+ rounds, then i know i got it. Oddly, i got an old 101 my youngest dot shoots, that thing looks like it only had 100 rounds thru it after 2k rounds.......ya, cleaning is over rated...

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
I like to run the feather duster down the barrel first, then run a couple of patches (sprayed with rem oil) down the barrel while its still hot from shooting. I see very little plastic build up. I do see a few small pieces of plastic on the patches from time to time, but not always. Then again, I use whatever shells are on sale for the 12 ga. so I switch brands a lot. Use mostly Rio's though. Even when I used Claybuster wads in my 12 ga. barrels, I didn't see much residue. Maybe its the nice coating of rem oil that helps before each time I shoot. I coat the barrels mostly because of the humid area I live in to keep the bores protected. To each there own. I learned a long time ago that no matter what I say here, most shooters will continue to do what they are currently doing anyway. So do whatever works for Ya and break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I personally have noticed that my guns with fixed chokes do not show any plastic buildup. My choke tube barrels do not show any plastic buildup, however the choke tubes do. Some bad enough that I use a snap
off blade razor knife to cut the buildup first before soaking them in Briley choke tube cleaner. I am amazed at how much plastic residue comes out. When I switched from Claybuster wads to Downrange wads, the buildup was reduced greatly. Bill

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Some people get plastic wad fouling and admit it. Some people are full of sh!t or not smart enough to identify it.
And some people clean their guns often enough to not have a problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts