Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was given a bag of 250... have old unique and new promo. Looking for a 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 recipe. Have a fair selection of old and new style hulls. No old books to crack open, so would appreciate old published data from those who have it.

Matt

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Matt,
I have a copy of Lymans 1st edition shotshell handbook. There are no loads uaing Promo listed for what you want. As for Unique there are loads using 21-22 grains but the pressures are way up in the 10,500 L.U.P. range. Maybe someone else has some newer info.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Promo is WAY too fast for 1&3\8, may be a few for Unique, But Herco or Blue Dot would be better choices. Ross Puls

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Matt.... Promo will DEFINITELY not be a choice for 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 oz loads. The pressures would be way too much. As for Unique, I have found it to be very good for 1 1/4oz meat shooting loads, but, for 1 3/8 or 1 1/2oz loads, not so much. Given your WAA12R red wads, a better choice for those loads would be 800X, Herco, Blue Dot, or, if you can find it, IMR 4756.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Matt.... Give me an hour or so and I will PM a couple good loads to you.... Dan

·
Registered
934 Posts
1978 Hercules Data book.

Alliant dropped lots of loads when they bought Hercules. Were these loads dropped because they were unsafe or just culled to make room? I don't know, use your discretion. I would under no circumstance exceed the recommended powder drop shown.

Michael

·
Registered
119 Posts
You must be careful with Hercules / Alliant data and old / new powder. After Alliant took over they reformulated most of their popular powders (including Unique) to burn cleaner. This was a success but it changed the max. pressure levels so that some loads that were safe with the old, very dirty Unique are safe no longer. I know its hard right now to find any powder to load with but to try and make loads with just any old collection of components is just DANGEROUS!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The only published load for Unique with a payload greater than 1-1/4 oz comes from an article printed in American rifleman in 1987. The article talked about how the Brits favored high mass and low fps over lower payload and higher fps. Their take hinged around lower fps open chokes coupled with the inertia of #6 or larger shot to yield denser and uniform patterns while maintaining killing power.

All of the recipes are based on Winchester AA compression formed hulls, Win. 209 primers and Win.12F114 old style Yellow wads(pre HS).I believe there are old style clone wads available from aftermarket suppliers, the red wads are to short for these recipes.

Remember: AA hulls, Win 209 primers and Yellow old style wads.

1-1/2 #6 shot or larger 22.0 grns. Unique 1135 fps @8700 psi
1-1/2 #6 shot or larger 22.5 grns. Unique 1150 fps @9200 psi

1-3/8 #6 shot or larger 20.5 grns. Unique 1045 fps @9000 psi
1-3/8 #6 shot or larger 21.0 grns. Unique 1055 fps @9100 psi
1-3/8 #6 shot or larger 21.5 grns. Unique 1070 fps @9200 psi

Surfer

·
Registered
934 Posts
Surfer,

I think you have the loads switched. 22 grains an 1 1/2 oz should not be going faster, and at a lower pressure than, the 1 3/8 oz loads?

Michael

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Mag 410,
The recipes listed above were copied directly from the article and I'm not in the position to dispute them, but I believe it has something to due with mass x psi = fps, but some one else will have to ring in on this.

Mad Dog, I did find a low velocity high mass load using the red wad but it requires PB powder. 1-3/8 of #6 shot, AA win old style hull, Win. red wad, 21.5 grns PB, @1110 fps,no published psi

I have shot the 21.5 1-3/8 1070 fps load at pot shoots and it's pleasent load to shoot given the mass that's being pushed out the barrel.

Surfer

·
Registered
934 Posts
<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<title>New Page 1</title>
</head>

<body>

Surfer,<br>
<br>
I remember reading the article and agreeing with the author. I always choose payload over speed, but the data you quoted can not be correct. <br>
<br>
All other components staying the same. The author must have gotten the laws of physics
repealed if he increased shot and powder and decreased pressure.<br>
<br>
<i>"1-3/8 #6 shot or larger 21.0 grns. Unique 1055 fps @9100 psi"<br>
"1-1/2 #6 shot or larger 22.0 grns. Unique 1135 fps @8700 psi "<br>
</i><br>
Michael

</body>

</html>

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Micheal,
you're pobably correct, I never paid attention to the differences between the two loads as my interest lay with the 1-3/8 load only. What's printed is more than likely a typo.

I copied the article and tossed the magazine years ago and my copy lists no author only referring to victorian J.H. Walsh as the originator of low mass low volocity open choke concept.

Surfer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts