Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WAA12 Wad & 1-3/8 oz Field Load

6K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Git-ER-Done 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever loaded the Winchester WAA 12 White wad with 1 oz shot and 1 3/8 shot. According to winchester the white was is good from 1 oz. to 1 5/8 oz. We used to load 1 3/8 oz with the winchester "Red" wad. It appears winchester does not make these anymore and the ones I had got brittle and break.

I would apreciate any input,

Andy

#2 ·
There is a wad in between the red and the AA regular wad, I think. I don't remember what it was called. However, it would be better just to use any brand of low volume wad that will work rather than try to find obsolete wads. The red wads are really small, requiring extra card wads to fill a AA shell when loading with 1 1/4 ounces. I used RP12 wads for my last pigeon loads with 1 1/4 ounces of shot and used a .070 20 gauge card in the shot cup to fill the shell. I used STS or CF AA empties. If either of these loads had been 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 ounces, the shells would have been full with no extra wads. I think the other Winchester wad was called the W114, although it may have been the same as the red wad. The AA white wad is way too big for 1 3/8 ounces of shot.

#3 ·
The Win. wad for 1 1/4 in a AA hull is the AA114. I prefer the Rem SP12 (lower pressure). For 1 3/8 in a AA or STS try the Rem RP12. The powder you use will be another determining factor for which wad to use. I load 1 3/8 in a Top Gun using Longshot and a DRV Red. Using Blue Dot in the same load requires the RP12.

Buz

#5 ·
I have and in fact, I duplicate the Nitro Mag Remington shell in a AA hull and 1 3/8 oz shot and was initially using the WA12 wad.

Unfortunately, the WA12 wad is just too much for the shell. I switched to the RED AA wad and that has been a perfect match for all my components.

The reload looks like a new AA shell, and the performance is exactly what I was looking for in a high performance shell for pheasants.

Whiz

#6 ·
To pull of a 1 3/8oz loading with the WAA12 in a hull you need to look at straight walled tubes. You can cram it in a AA but everything on your loader better be set exactly, they better be new hulls and your going to need a real fine powder like the old 571 or HS7.

Claybuster has a clone of the old F114 and the W12R. You be better to use one of these depending on powder and case you intend to use than to go generic with one wad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.