Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple thousand of WAA12s on order but need something to get my by in the meantime. It appears from searching online that the clay buster 118s are exact replacements. Anyone know for sure? I am just getting started reloading and want to make sure these two are interchangeable.
Thanks!

·
Registered
33,590 Posts
Check out link to Claybusters website

4th wad down answers your question

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
I have a couple thousand of WAA12s on order but need something to get my by in the meantime. It appears from searching online that the clay buster 118s are exact replacements. Anyone know for sure? I am just getting started reloading and want to make sure these two are interchangeable.
Thanks!
There are other wads available that are designed as replacements for the WAA12 wad. What load are you using. Downrange also makes a variety of replacements for that wad and which one is appropriate might depend on what hull and powder you are using. I see this is your first post, so welcome. It's always helpful to people who want to help you if you provide them with the specifics of your load in your posts.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t really have a load developed. I have 209a federal primers and AA hulls. Im looking for a load that is around 12-1300 FPS. Powder available to me are longshot and universal and 700x I found a load using universal that would work just wondering about the wads

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
What do you plan to use the loads for? Hunting or target? If target, I would suggest the 700X. And for a wad, i would recommend the DRA118, white wad, which is made specifically for use in the AAHS hull and 700x. Universal and Longshot typically are used for heavier field load and would not be economical for use in lighter clay target loads.

If you are just getting started, you have lots to learn about things such as stack height and how factors such as powder density and wad crush section length affect it and the effects of stack height on crimp quality.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I know you said federal primers, but I use AA or STS hulls a cb118 and a win primer with 700x and Its earned me a yard or 4.

Reactions: SecondChance

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately all I can find are cheddites or federals at the current time. Being new I am a little nervous using cheds since I can find very little info on them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use Cheddites as replacements for Win209s without any problems. I did read that cheds are bit wider than wins and can make the primer pocket enlarged but I haven't ran into any problems. If I look up a load and it doesn't state cheddilte primers I just look under the win209, pick my wad, and fps then go from there. I like to keep my loads in the middle psi range so I feel I'm safe from overpressures. As with any load info use it at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Unfortunately all I can find are cheddites or federals at the current time. Being new I am a little nervous using cheds since I can find very little info on them.
Your cautious instincts, especially with regard to primers, is spot on. The primer is a component that rarely should be substituted. Don't listen to those above who say they routinely use Cheddites in place of Win 209, they are not the same primer and do not deliver the same performance.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You've got Federal primers and 700X. Look at the Hodgdon data.

A Winchester clone (CB 0118 or 1118) or a Remington clone (Figure 8) will get you to 1250 fps.

Having built a load around published data for a Federal or CCIM primer, I would then freely substitute any other primer in the future. Being new to reloading it is wise to stick to published recipes and ask questions. Problem is, being new, it is tough to know how to filter the answers.

In this case, you can use published data regardless of others' opinions.

If you're also new to trap, for 16 yard targets you will be well served by 1 & 18 ounce @ 1150-ish. Even better, for a variety of reasons IMO, would be 1 ounce @ 1200-ish. In either case, the Figure 8 wads will work.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You've got Federal primers and 700X. Look at the Hodgdon data.

A Winchester clone (CB 0118 or 1118) or a Remington clone (Figure 8) will get you to 1250 fps.

Having built a load around published data for a Federal or CCIM primer, I would then freely substitute any other primer in the future. Being new to reloading it is wise to stick to published recipes and ask questions. Problem is, being new, it is tough to know how to filter the answers.

In this case, you can use published data regardless of others' opinions.

If you're also new to trap, for 16 yard targets you will be well served by 1 & 18 ounce @ 1150-ish. Even better, for a variety of reasons IMO, would be 1 ounce @ 1200-ish. In either case, the Figure 8 wads will work.
Not new to trap been shooting it for 15ish years but had a long layoff and have started shooting some 27yrd and beyond rounds so looking for something with a little more thump.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all for the replies! Going to get the Mec Jr looked at tomorrow and hopefully be reloading by the weekend!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Your cautious instincts, especially with regard to primers, is spot on. The primer is a component that rarely should be substituted. Don't listen to those above who say they routinely use Cheddites in place of Win 209, they are not the same primer and do not deliver the same performance.
Nebs is correct that you should not just substitute the cheddite for any other primer without testing or checking with the powder manufacturer you are using. I have checked in the past and sometimes the answer is if the pressure of the chosen load is under 10,000 then a substitution is ok. When you decide on a specific load that will help in figuring out what you can and cannot do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks!
You can see from the data here Cheddites are hotter than Winchesters.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
worst case send your kid off to get pressure tested if you really want to use that load.
My kid is perfectly fine. He has a zero pressure rating for he goes off just as fast or faster than his old man!!!

Reactions: charleyj10
1 - 20 of 25 Posts