Trapshooters Forum banner

Vitrectomy vision problems

3307 Views 22 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  WNCRob
I just had a vitrectomy surgery done on my right eye for floaters. Before the surgery I was shooting scores of 23-25 on a regular basis. Now I'm shooting 19-22 and back in July I had my first 75 and 100,
then finished with a 94 on my second 100, ending up with 194/200. ATA shoot.
Now I'm lucky if I shoot above 20.
I believe I'm having vision problems from the vitrectomy surgery that I had on August 5,
2021. 😓
Has anyone experienced this and will my vision come back?
And can anyone explain it?
My floaters are gone though!
Thank you!
TS.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I just had a vitrectomy surgery done on my right eye for floaters. Before the surgery I was shooting scores of 23-25 on a regular basis. Now I'm shooting 19-22 and back in July I had my first 75 and 100,
I believe I'm having vision problems from the vitrectomy surgery that I had on August 5,
2021. 😓
Thank you!
TS.
6-8 weeks.

· Registered
3,365 Posts
I had it done a bit more than a year ago. Several things changed after. Mainly I couldn't believe how much the floaters were causing problems seeing targets and how much I had changed trying to compensate. Had the right eye done after cataract surgery and have 20 20 vision in that eye. Left eye had cataract surgery and at 20 25 now. Going to have floaters done this winter in the left eye. Can't believe how clear my right eye is now. That said I made MAJOR changes trying to work around the floaters. When I got back to shooting it was like learning to shoot all over. I finally got a good friend who is VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE about shooting. He's helped in the past and I trust him completely. I was shooting so far left of the targets that on hard lefts I was overleading hard lefts by almost three feet and under a bit. He was right and it took a while to adjust. This year is pretty well a wash for registered as far as my scores, but at the grand my sixteens picked up. 199 on nra sixteens an 198 on ctc. Couple of hundreds in between. Doubles and handicap is getting better but still up and down. My advice is to get someone YOU KNOW YOU CAN TRUST to give you a hand getting back on track. I know how frustrated you probably feel but working on the correct things will work. I wish I hadn't shot as long as I did with eye problems. I sucks to go from good averages to people looking at you like it's your first time at trap but it can get better. Good luck, and if I can do anything to help please let me know. I hate to see anyone go through what I did.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
6-8 weeks.
Oh, wow!
I had it done a bit more than a year ago. Several things changed after. Mainly I couldn't believe how much the floaters were causing problems seeing targets and how much I had changed trying to compensate. Had the right eye done after cataract surgery and have 20 20 vision in that eye. Left eye had cataract surgery and at 20 25 now. Going to have floaters done this winter in the left eye. Can't believe how clear my right eye is now. That said I made MAJOR changes trying to work around the floaters. When I got back to shooting it was like learning to shoot all over. I finally got a good friend who is VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE about shooting. He's helped in the past and I trust him completely. I was shooting so far left of the targets that on hard lefts I was overleading hard lefts by almost three feet and under a bit. He was right and it took a while to adjust. This year is pretty well a wash for registered as far as my scores, but at the grand my sixteens picked up. 199 on nra sixteens an 198 on ctc. Couple of hundreds in between. Doubles and handicap is getting better but still up and down. My advice is to get someone YOU KNOW YOU CAN TRUST to give you a hand getting back on track. I know how frustrated you probably feel but working on the correct things will work. I wish I hadn't shot as long as I did with eye problems. I sucks to go from good averages to people looking at you like it's your first time at trap but it can get better. Good luck, and if I can do anything to help please let me know. I hate to see anyone go through what I did.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
There are other references that say complete regain of vision may take six months or more in some cases. And that’s with strict adherence to eye drop instilling and head positioning. So your best bet is to follow up with your surgeon.

· Registered
3,365 Posts
And that’s with strict adherence to eye drop instilling and head positioning
The drops I and two other people I know who had it was antibiotic drops and steroids to keep down swelling. I'm not sure what you mean by head positioning. Maybe your doctor had a reason with how your surgery went to suggest it? After 30 days I was 20 25 in the right eye and the next checkup 30 days I was 20 20. After the floaters disrupting vision so long even 20 25 was amazingly clear! The procedure isn't to be taken lightly but I WILL be doing the left eye as soon as I can. Consultation appointment is end of October. As you say, FOLLOW YOUR DOCTORS ADVICE TO THE LETTER. You've only got two eyes, it's nothing to fool with.

· Registered
4,761 Posts
After having a torn retina (not detached) last October and being virtually blind in the left eye after the laser repair, I figured I was done shooting competitively, I could only see shadows in that eye for weeks, and could not see my hand in front of my eye, slowly the blood and floaters began to go away. Now 10 months later I still have floaters in the left eye, but vision around them is 20/20. But they wave around like a translucent flag in the breeze. I was always a two eyed shooter but the floaters were so bad they were inducing cross firing, you’d have thought it would have prevented cross fire??? Anyway I struggled all year with consistency and finally went to the “off eye” grid on my left lens, it is helping, but I still am able to look through the “window screen” type of sticker and cross fire.
After a follow up with the eye surgeon in the spring I asked about the vitrectomy and he chuckled and said that there was no way I was a candidate for it.
he suggested that I’d get used to the floaters……10 months later, I am not used to them, they even affect me as I am typing this…..maybe it’s time for a second opinion????

· Registered
8,427 Posts
The drops I and two other people I know who had it was antibiotic drops and steroids to keep down swelling. I'm not sure what you mean by head positioning. Maybe your doctor had a reason with how your surgery went to suggest it? After 30 days I was 20 25 in the right eye and the next checkup 30 days I was 20 20. After the floaters disrupting vision so long even 20 25 was amazingly clear! The procedure isn't to be taken lightly but I WILL be doing the left eye as soon as I can. Consultation appointment is end of October. As you say, FOLLOW YOUR DOCTORS ADVICE TO THE LETTER. You've only got two eyes, it's nothing to fool with.
The head positioning Flashmax is referring to is when you have an air bubble inserted into your eye after a detached retina surgery. You have to stay face down for a certain amount of time to let the retina heal. Same surgery for different symptoms.

· Registered
275 Posts
2021. 😓
Thank you!
TS.
I was told not to shoot for 3 months. I shot a 410 auto at 2 months and was good with it. They want your eye to heal before subjecting it to recoil from shooting.

I tried laser before the vitrectomy and it didn't work well at all.

· Registered
1,716 Posts
Just an opinion based on personal experience and conversations with others having had eye surgery, mine was cataract. When able to resume shooting I was initially fixated on how my vision had changed rather than simply allowing my eyes and trigger finger to connect when the target appeared. My gun mount and fitment were the same after surgery, ammo was the same, just had to get my conscious thoughts out of the way long enough to break a target.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
The head positioning Flashmax is referring to is when you have an air bubble inserted into your eye after a detached retina surgery. You have to stay face down for a certain amount of time to let the retina heal. Same surgery for different symptoms.

Floaters are generally a part of the retina that has partially or fully detached. It depends, I guess, on which surgical technique is used whether there is a bubble inside.

· Registered
8,427 Posts
100% correct flashmax...

I had floaters so bad it was like looking through a lava lamp 24/7. With only one eye I waited for over a year before getting so tired of not seeing very will I took the risk of a vitrectomy. Fortunately I had no detachment of the retina so I didn't need the gas bubble. A detached retina was part of the risk of surgery I was told pre-op. I was cleared to shoot in 30 days and my 6 month check up was as good as it gets.

But like someone else stated I have to learn how to shoot again but it's coming around.

· Registered
3,365 Posts
The surgeon that did my procedure had been involved with testing using the laser to blast the floaters. He didn't think much of the test results and would not recommend or perform laser treatment for floaters. He was a young guy and I trusted him to be up to date on the best way to take care of my floaters.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After having a torn retina (not detached) last October and being virtually blind in the left eye after the laser repair, I figured I was done shooting competitively, I could only see shadows in that eye for weeks, and could not see my hand in front of my eye, slowly the blood and floaters began to go away. Now 10 months later I still have floaters in the left eye, but vision around them is 20/20. But they wave around like a translucent flag in the breeze. I was always a two eyed shooter but the floaters were so bad they were inducing cross firing, you’d have thought it would have prevented cross fire??? Anyway I struggled all year with consistency and finally went to the “off eye” grid on my left lens, it is helping, but I still am able to look through the “window screen” type of sticker and cross fire.
After a follow up with the eye surgeon in the spring I asked about the vitrectomy and he chuckled and said that there was no way I was a candidate for it.
he suggested that I’d get used to the floaters……10 months later, I am not used to them, they even affect me as I am typing this…..maybe it’s time for a second opinion????
It wouldn't hurt Frank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.