Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stop shooting for years and last year went to the new club here in Bakersfield. Was shooting like old days with my Remington 3200. Hit 100 several times the first month.
Out of nowhere vision was almost gone. Dr thought might have detached retna. Thank god no. Still have problems with lots of floaters at certain angels. So I stopped shooting again. Wearing Glasses with progressive lenses.
Some positions with target (Trap) going straight out it becomes invisible. Hope to go out this weekend and work on regaining confidence.
Can't keep blowing roof off .
I shoot with both eyes open right handed and use my own reloads. Open to any suggestions.

Thanks Steve

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a procedure to remove floaters. I have 2 friends in their 70s that have undergone the procedure.
My Dr said just get used to it. Let me know if you find out what the procedure is called.
Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found this in another thread here
Very frustrating. will research this

They have a cure called a FOV (Floater only Vitrectomy) that is used quite a bit out of this country. The doctors in this country don't even want to consider this becaused they cosider floaters trivial and not a necessity for surgery. I wish they could see through someone else's eyes and then say surgery isn't a necessity.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I am 63 and just got a floater in my left eye and shoot right handed. I put a dot over my left lens toward the left side of the lens and shoot both eyes open. I wear progressive lens, but just use DISTANCE ONLY script in my shooting glasses and the floater doesn't bother me. From what I have read about the operation, I wouldn't chance it. Do a search on "Floaters" on the forum and there is lots of info. Good luck Steve

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Got floaters after cataract surgery. Vision is real good - except for shooting. The floaters create a slight haze and drift across the field of view. Especially noticeable
while shooting doubles. Wish you well.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Graystone Eye care in Hickory NC, is where one of my friends had his procedure done. Retina Associates in Rochester NY did the procedure on my second friend. Both are very pleased with the results, I recently had lens replacements to get rid of cataracts, My Ophthalmologist told me he could not tell me my cataracts were bad enough to have the procedure but I could tell him I wanted it done. First eye was done in Dec., second in Jan. You will have to find the right Dr.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got floaters after cataract surgery. Vision is real good - except for shooting. The floaters create a slight haze and drift across the field of view. Especially noticeable
while shooting doubles. Wish you well.
Thanks I never give up just get frustrated.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: I have had floaters in my eyes all my life. I have found if you use glasses with a darker tint it helps hide the floaters. I have friends who have had lasic surgery and there floaters went away. My eyes are not bad enough yet for lasic so I can't tell you if it works. Try the darker lenses and see if that helps. Thanks Eric

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Man I feel for you---and us!! We need all the shooters we can get. Hope this turns out well for you. NOW I know a floater is a "spot" in the eye but what is it actually? Where do they come from and why are they there?

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello: I have had floaters in my eyes all my life. I have found if you use glasses with a darker tint it helps hide the floaters. I have friends who have had lasic surgery and there floaters went away. My eyes are not bad enough yet for lasic so I can't tell you if it works. Try the darker lenses and see if that helps. Thanks Eric
darker glasses can't hurt to try
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
521 Posts
The floaters in my right eye which were caused by vitreous fluid detachment were so bad it was like looking thru a brown pea size window. Doctor John Karickhoff in Falls Church Va zapped them with a laser and now I can see true colors and the tiny floaters are not a problem. There are only three people in the US that do this procedure. People from all over the country go to him. Check out www.eyefloaters.com This procedure is better then having someone suck out the fluid and replace it with another. Do not believe the people that say you have to live with it. Most near sighted people if they live long enough with have some detachment. By the way Dr.Karickhoff actually teachs others the procdure and has invented some of the lens used in the treatment.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have had the floters taken out of both eyes and have no regrets. I can see the computer now and the targets.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Shortly after cataract surgery I developed Posterior Vitreous Detachment in each eye. It was like looking thru a piece of waving lace. Nearly all, including responses from several Doctors, knowledgeable friends, and even the all knowing TS.com group said I would have to live with the floaters. Too dangerous to try and remove them. Thankfully I found a Dr. that knew better. He stated that there was about a 1% chance of a partial retina detachment. But he said they have the equipment and ability to remedy should that occur. Procedure performed without a problem. Floaters are gone and I now see better than 20/20 in each eye. My Dr. performs similar floater removal surgery approx eight times per week.

This topic has been discussed in detail several times. Research my posts of about three years ago and you will find much valuable info on the condition and treatment. Marc

·
Registered
534 Posts
The procedure to have floaters removed is a vitrectomy. I had it done a few years ago after talking to a friend who had it done earlier. I had no trouble finding a surgeon to do it. It is likely to cause a cataract to form soon after the surgery. My friend had no problems and I had a few which were resolved. It does work. There is quite a bit of information available, google it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts