Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is a Tuesday night auction addict. She came home last night with a big grin on her face and said she found something for me,she had several vintage box's of shotgun ammo. Some are full and some half,some of the box's are in good shape and some poor. Looks like the original owner tied the full ones with twine and dated when they were purchased, early 40's to 50's.

A couple appear to have some value,was hoping the shotshell collectors here will chime in on what exactly she found,she paid 30 bucks for the lot.

JohnR

johnr_2008_300810.jpg

Full box

johnr_2008_300811.jpg

Full box, shell taken from torn box

johnr_2008_300812.jpg

Partial box

johnr_2008_300813.jpg

Partial box

johnr_2008_300814.jpg

Full box 410

johnr_2008_300815.jpg

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
They are all really cool but they aren't particulary rare so collector value will be something like $10 per box. But the price your wife paid is very reasonable and I think you will enjoy having them in your collection more than you would enjoy having a few extra bucks in your wallet.

I think you need to repay the favor by doing something extra nice for her.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Shells like that usually bring about a buck a piece at gun shows. The boxes are where the value lies, but the generally need to be the rarer two piece boxes, or in PRISTINE condition to be of any real value.

Generally speaking, there are only a handful of shells that are worth more than a few bucks a piece, and likely only a handful of one piece boxes that are worth more than a few bucks a piece.

Don't get me wrong, your wife definitely made a good buy, and you probably have $150-$200 worth of value in the lot if you took the time to piece everything out, but you're not going to retire on it :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help, was just wondering if any where particularly rare. May have been a little karma, I had won the first week of the local winter league and gave her 100 bucks from the winnings to use at the auction for herself.

JohnR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts