Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fun thread that some here might enjoy; scroll to the last page for lots of vintage pics
Vintage Style Shooting Sweater Purchase..... - Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Prior to 1890 it appears fellas shot in vests and jackets

Or maybe their 'Sunday Best'

No collar shooting vests started appearing about 1895

The first Grand Smokeless Championship Handicap Live-bird Tournament given by the E. I. Du Pont De Nemours & Co. took place October 22 - 25, 1895 at Baltimore, Md.

Eventually with leather patches

The 1912 U.S. Olympic Team

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Depending on the venue, REALLY nice duds :)

World's Record Trapshooting Squad. Record 497 out of 500. July 4th, 1915, Maplewood Club in the White Mountains, New Hampshire. A.G. King - 99, Ralph Spotts - 100, Chas. Newcombe - 99, A.B. Richardson - 99, Fred Plum - 100.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Saddling a game with a dress code is pointless and completely illogical unless protection or functionality is provided.Short skirts on tennis dresses provide freedom of movement; the collars on golf shirts are idoitic. Shoot in whatever does it for you.
My point being is that back in the day people wore jackets, vests, ties, all the time. I was watching a documentary of the early 1920's- 30's. Jackets and or vests where standard for the day. even if dirty, old, and tattered. I imagine if you where wealthy(you had to be wealthy) enough to shoot Trap, you had money for nicer cloths.
As to collars for golf shirts..... It is a shame that people have to be told that they need to look neat and clean.
Not a criticism. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK - back to the dictionary.

"Vintage" - a fashion that was popular in a different era.
Possibly, but not necessarily a "Classic" - Recognized as being of high quality and with lasting appeal.
And likely "Out of date" - No longer fashionable or modern.

It's a trap shoot, not a fashion show. No extra targets for looking sharp. Wear what you want.

I think the smiling was for after the shoot

Hon. Thomas Marshall, Mayor of Keithsburg, Illinois at the time of his 1897 GAH victory. He also won the 1899 GAH at Live Birds and was Capt. of the victorious American team in the June 1901 Anglo-American Clay Bird Match using a Parker.

At the 1914 GAH with W.F. MacCandless, Secy. NCR Gun Club

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Love the Hats ... even the lady shooters wore them. Can you imagine how many would blow off on a windy day. They probably had a couple of trap boys retrieve them.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now THIS is a hat :)

Bogardus, Carver, and Oakley
http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1962/3/1962_3_26_print.shtml

"The Evil Spirit of the Plains"
In 1883, Carver was matched against Capt. A. H. Bogardus by the Ligowsky Clay Pigeon Co. in a 25-match series. He and Capt. Bogardus shot 100 targets each in 25 different cities, with Carver winning 19 matches, tieing three and losing three. Bogardus shot a hammerless Scott, 7 lbs 6 oz. Carver a hammerless 12b Greener 7 lbs 12 oz. Carver was shooting a Cashmore in 1897.

That's looks to have been blown off and run over by a passing carriage at some point

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It appears by about 1900 the "Newsboy" or "Ivy/Driving Cap" was becoming the standard shooting hat

1901 Sportsmen's Exposition
R.O. Heikes (Remington Hammerless), Ed Banks (Winchester Repeater), W.R. Crosby (Smith), Jack Fanning (Smith), possibly B. LeRoy (Remington)

Fred Gilbert 1904

John R. Taylor station 3, Jack Fanning 4, and Charles Newcomb 5.

1920 Olympic Team; Western catalog courtesy of Randy Davis

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
"Neat and clean" according to whose standards? Why should anyone have the right to try to inflict their standards on someone else by telling them what they "need" to do as long as what they're doing isn't either illegal or immoral?
My opinion is not to set styles or tell you to wash your cloths or yourself... I do have my opinion that you should though and people do judge you by first impressions. You also have the right to your own thoughts too.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
It appears by about 1900 the "Newsboy" or "Ivy/Driving Cap" was becoming the standard shooting hat

1901 Sportsmen's Exposition
R.O. Heikes (Remington Hammerless), Ed Banks (Winchester Repeater), W.R. Crosby (Smith), Jack Fanning (Smith), possibly B. LeRoy (Remington)

Fred Gilbert 1904

John R. Taylor station 3, Jack Fanning 4, and Charles Newcomb 5.

1912 Top Guns

1920 Olympic Team Western ad courtesy of Randy Davis

I liked those "Newsboy" hats so much, I bought one about a month ago to wear this winter shooting. Kind of an olive green wool. Looks cool, much nicer than a common baseball cap.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I could wear one of those hats, but I doubt it would make me shoot any better............Hmmmm.............But if it did......Maybe I should get one.......

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here you go Don :)

From the Hennepin Co. Library; likely c. 1900

Mrs. W. A. Davis at the 1917 GAH, Chicago; Parker, Jostam Two Ply Sponge Rubber Pad and a Handguard

1 - 20 of 86 Posts