Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use vinegar to clean choke tubes? Tried it on one of mine. Seems to have removed grease and powder residue from the threads pretty well. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
who cares about a little powder residue....I cannot imagine that Vinegar will touch melted plastic wad material....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Frenchy has passed and is dearly missed but his barrel cleaner formula must still be out there. Does anyone know his secret?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Standard bore brush on a drill.....clean as a whistle, no plastic left. Best part no messy stinky chemicals. Threads ....a stiff tooth brush.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Even AHAB didn't "go there" re. Vinegar on this one...but why not use acetone which is cheap and dissolves plastic easily?

Congrats re. the self-control, AHAB!!!

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Wasn't there a thread on here recently about someone who soaked a gun in vinegar and it rusted completely....destroyed it? Best Regards, Ed

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Vinegar is very dilute acetic acid. pH less than 7.

Ed's Red or straight acetone is probably more effective for cleaning choke tubes.

·
Registered
14,803 Posts
Hoppe's on a brass brush in a drill motor works best. Leave the choke in the gun and clean with the bore. Then take it out and wipe down the entire choke with Rem oil and put it back in the gun.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Plastic and acetone: I note that most plastic does not "like" acetone. Acetone will even remove enamel paint from a sign, but it takes a while.

I also note that some skeet shooters ask that the clubhouse stock acetone that is de-odorized for some kind of cosmetic use. Beats me.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Mineral Spirits.

Removes plastic fouling quickly and is less volatile than acetone which makes it is a bit less hazardous to handle and use than acetone. Don't have any mineral spirits laying around? try charcoal starter fluid ... mostly mineral spirits. Don't get any of these solvents on your gunstock finish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
GET-IT-DONE is correct.
Rather than argue, try to dissolve any plastic in any solvent.
Just ask any chemist! Yes, even chemists shoot trap.
But vinegar is really bad as it is adjusted to be 5% acetic acid, which is really a weak acid but no friend to metals.
With an expensive gun, why try cheap solvents?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.