Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you prefer, a shooting vest or a shell bag? I have been using a bag for years and would like to know why some people prefer a vest and who makes the best vests.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Vest for sure. I like the extra pockets for whatever.

Being built like a steo-typical trapshooter (big belly and no butt) the vest puts the weight distrubuted across my shoulders.

A bag puts the weight on one hip.

Shoot-the-Moon for custom made with whatever color scheme or pocket configuration you need or want. $100 and up.
Browning Broken Cays vest is also a good one. it has the "Reactor-Pad" pocket inside the shouldering side of vest. $40-$60 depending on where you purchase it.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I use a vest for a familiar mounting spot regardless of what other clothing I may wear. Sometimes I use a belt & box holder over the vest.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Shoot with a box clip year round helps to maintain maximum range of motion. Not to mention when its over a hundred degrees its one less thing you need to wear.

Bluedotman, Clayslayer, Awesome products.

Brady Gies

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Bag, shell box and a Velcro leather belt made by Bluedotman. Best belt for the money in my opinion. Ty in Ky

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Shot for years in custom vests . Went to box holder on belt . Would I go back to a vest ? NO...KS-OKIE

·
5,232 Posts
Single compartment pouch, mesh hull hamper... less constricting, cooler in warm weather months...

j.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: I use a pouch and mesh hull holder. Going to try the vest next for sporting low gun. I have a apron coming and will try it as well. I think the apron may be my go to pouch/hull holder. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Started with a vest and switched to a belt and bag all in one made by Koplin. I just got a new one made by Allen. I like a belt.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used to shoot in a vest all of the time. Now I have shooting shirts with a thin pad sewn on them to help hold gun in position and have a shell box holder and a mesh bag all in one on my belt. It is cooler and more comfortable for me. Plus the length of pull does not change that much. I use a Soft Touch recoil system on both of my guns and it is just more comfortable all the way around.

Ross Randall.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I wear a NRA vest that has two lower pockets on each side. On the right side , the inside pocket has a mesh bag that is released and has a zipper on the end to open to clear the empties. Has a mesh back with large back pocket also. Pretty slick rig. Been using it for approx. 5yrs w/o a hitch. Got it at Bass Pro. Joe

·
Registered
809 Posts
I don't use a vest because of the weight always being on my shoulders. When mounting the gun, your shoulders have to rise a little. If you have 2-3 pounds of shells in the pockets, you are lifting the weight every time you shoot. Multiply that times how many shots you take & it really adds up. If you shoot a 100 singles, 100 caps, & 50 pair of dbls(double the weight), you are lifting somewhere between 750-800 pounds. The belt & pouch combo puts on the weight on your hips. I just know I'm not as tired using the pouch. Butch from Pgh

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I like a leather Shamrock single box holder with two spare loops. Along with it I use my leather Shamrock hull bag. That's it, I don't like stuff in my pockets or anything else hanging off my belt. Tried a vest once. I didn't like the weight pulling down on my shoulders. I always used an around the waist dove pouch too instead of the hunting vests.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I can't get the proper feel of the but pad in my shoulder when I have a vest on. I do not shoot much in the winter because I can't stand to shoot in anything more than a t shirt.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts