Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new to trap shooting and stumbled into a remington 1187 premier trap with the 30” barrel market target. For cheap. Problem is the rib was bent, and I let a “friend” try and fix it but it seems all he did was break the rib from the barrel in one spot.... so can anyone suggest someone that can replace or repair this rib for me? Any local smith I spoke with ran away from this job.
thanks

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, the break is a rib or two from the chamber end of the gun, also he didn’t get it straight. Some have suggested cleaning it real well clamping it and heating it up it may re solder ..... my Luck the whole thing will come off😳! As for an estimate? Cant get anyone local to to even look it it let alone give an estimate. One smith suggested sending it back to remington but they won’t even take calls it just goes into a voice message loop. Maybe someday. And at what value would a replacement barrel start to look good? I’ve been looking at auction sites and have found a couple used ones that start around 500.00

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks I’ll give Phillip a call, I saw that barrel on eBay but it’s not marked “target” so I was thinking it wasn’t back bored?!? It’s my understanding that the target barrels were back bored .... or do I have it wring?

· Registered
344 Posts
My barrel is factory and says target with stars either side of the Target The bore is overbored as Aus says and measures about .750 inches before the choke. The 1100 trap barrels I have have a deflection stud on the receiver extension a factory middle bead and some have a step rib And Bradley sight.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok mine has the target marking with the stars, and the two beads and the step in the rib near the receiver. I have no way to measure the bore. I’m looking at a barrel now that has the same markings is 30” with the step in the rib but it’s a fixed choke marked full

· Registered
437 Posts
For future reference: If your rib was only dented, a vent rib repair tool makes the job SO simple. I had a dent in a rib on a gun I bought that when shipped was not properly packed. I was able to remove the dent completely and it was a 5 minute job including putting the tool on the rib. No damage whatsoever to the rib surface or the barrel.

I still have the tool and dare any of my guns to get their rib dented because now I can easily fix them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.