Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With so many good vendors pulling out and it looks like leaving a good amount of the vendor buildings empty at the Grand. I wonder which big shoots somebody will need to attend to find them now ? The Grand used to be THE HAPPENING PLACE for vendors ! Being treated the way they were by the Bureaucratic "IDIOTS" in ILL. I can't blame them but, it is sure a sad time concerning the Grand. :(

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
If the vendors don't have much inventory, and the expenses of traveling to the shoot are too large, it doesn't make sense for them to bother. The former will get better, the latter probably not so much. Personally I believe shoots shouldn't be charging vendors a fee that's any higher than the actual expenses they incur to host said vendor (which is little more than electricity), since the club already makes additional profit just by virtue of the vendor being there.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If the vendors don't have much inventory, and the expenses of traveling to the shoot are too large, it doesn't make sense for them to bother. The former will get better, the latter probably not so much. Personally I believe shoots shouldn't be charging vendors a fee that's any higher than the actual expenses they incur to host said vendor (which is little more than electricity), since the club already makes additional profit just by virtue of the vendor being there.
It never occurred to me vendors would have to pay anything beyond actual expenses to set up at a shoot. I too think the more vendors the better for the shoot.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
It never occurred to me vendors would have to pay anything beyond actual expenses to set up at a shoot. I too think the more vendors the better for the shoot.
I'm sure agreements like this are generally not public info, but Google brought me to the Iowa Trapshooting Association:

"Vendor spaces are $150 minimum with electricity and $135 minimum without electricity. ALL sites are plus sales tax."

The rates for Vendor Space are: $ 5.50 per frontage foot without electricity X ft. requested X $1.07 = $__ $ 7.00 per frontage foot with electricity X ft. requested X $1.07 = $__

Source: https://iowastateshoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2021-State-Shoot-Vendor-lease.pdf

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Here's Cardinals: https://05059732-2c68-49e5-9084-ac4...d/c12331_744e55c6064b4c72af5ca7483290e6dc.pdf

So for a 20x30 tent, 10 tables, 4 chairs, and lease, a vendor is looking at it costing around 900 bucks with tax for the OH State. If they only need the spot and have their own tent, tables, ect it's still $350.

So for many of these vendors, they are starting $2-3k in the hole before the first sale is made.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm sure agreements like this are generally not public info, but Google brought me to the Iowa Trapshooting Association:

"Vendor spaces are $150 minimum with electricity and $135 minimum without electricity. ALL sites are plus sales tax."

The rates for Vendor Space are: $ 5.50 per frontage foot without electricity X ft. requested X $1.07 = $ $ 7.00 per frontage foot with electricity X ft. requested X $1.07 = $

Source: https://iowastateshoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2021-State-Shoot-Vendor-lease.pdf
Here's Cardinals: https://05059732-2c68-49e5-9084-ac4...d/c12331_744e55c6064b4c72af5ca7483290e6dc.pdf

So for a 20x30 tent, 10 tables, 4 chairs, and lease, a vendor is looking at it costing around 900 bucks with tax for the OH State. If they only need the spot and have their own tent, tables, ect it's still $350.

So for many of these vendors, they are starting $2-3k in the hole before the first sale is made.
I wasn't in disbelief, just surprised.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
All industries try and monetize everything they can. As a MFG in the medical field when my company goes to a sales meeting for one of our distribution partners we have had to pay as much as $7k for a 10x10 booth for a 1 day vendor fair to have access to the sales team for the given distribution partner. In my opinion it's extortion at the lowest common denominator however a necessary evil for doing business. Its kinda crazy.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I used to attend the Dairy and Food shout the McCormick Center in Chicago every year (or other year) the booth cost was exorbitant and the extra charges for setting up the booth and taking it down was crazy. one year, management decided they were sick of going to the show so they decided not to attend. the word out on the show floor was that my company was in trouble and that is why we weren't at the show. after that, we were forced to go, and basically be shaken down by the Conference Center and the Labor unions.......it was big $$ for a 30x30 booth with big equipment set up in it.....

Reactions: NDTrap13

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Our booth costs for attending the 2019 Las Vegas SEMA show was in excess of $100,000.
This is inclusive of Shipping, Setup, Takedown and Booth Space Charges, Staffing, Accommodations and Transportation.
All vendors pay for booth space, this is nothing new.
I think the issue is that the vendors were expected to pay for their space, when they didn't have an audience. "NO GRAND"
I would be gone in a second too, if someone tried pulling that stunt!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
My wife does RV rallies in the summer time. Big names you all know and own. Some of the companies charge 0 dollars to the vendors because they see it as entertainment for the attendees. Other companies charge huge dollars because they see it as income for them. We obviously pick and choose depending on our outlay and return.

·
Registered
102 Posts
With so many good vendors pulling out and it looks like leaving a good amount of the vendor buildings empty at the Grand. I wonder which big shoots somebody will need to attend to find them now ? The Grand used to be THE HAPPENING PLACE for vendors ! Being treated the way they were by the Bureaucratic "IDIOTS" in ILL. I can't blame them but, it is sure a sad time concerning the Grand. :(
We were talking at local gun club.{sorting facts}. One member heard Grand was charging for Last Years Rent on Top of This Years Rent- double is why many or not coming. Cant verify - just what he heard.......;

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
It was my understanding that the vendors in question had space leased in the permanent buildings on the WSRC grounds. That certainly doesn’t justify being charged rent when they were locked out by circumstances beyond their control. I’ve not heard of any “tent vendors” being asked to pay space rental for 2020. If that did happen, I’ll stand corrected.

·
Registered
14,839 Posts
The vendors are getting the raw end of the deal. Last year Covid shutdowns and this year little to no product to sell in many cases. A lot of the vendors make a majority of yearly sales at 7-8 major shoots. Another bummer year.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
We haven't charged to vendor spaces for years, we don't get that many and see it as a draw for shooters.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have a friend that has been a vendor for years at the Grand.....It costs a LOT for him to get there. He has to work his backside off just to break even IF the business comes his way. 18 to 20 hours a day!

I know I am simplistic in my views BUT I would think vendors are a draw to shooters and therefore the shoot promoters. Therefore they ENHANCE your shoot. If it were not for unabashed greed (on everybodys part) the shoot management would make life easier for them because they make their shoot a destination as well as a shoot. Bass Pro has built an empire on this premise. They are never cheaper than anybody else..they are a DESTINATION.

Bless the vendors who GAMBLE on US!
Jim

·
Registered
14,839 Posts
Questions you have to ask yourself if you are a vendor. Will you have enough stock to sell those 2 weeks or even 1 week? What are your costs to get there and rent? Will you make enough to make it worth it? And the last question....Will masks be required at Sparta? If yes, will that reduce attendance?

·
Premium Member
3,078 Posts
Questions you have to ask yourself if you are a vendor. Will you have enough stock to sell those 2 weeks or even 1 week? What are your costs to get there and rent? Will you make enough to make it worth it? And the last question....Will masks be required at Sparta? If yes, will that reduce attendance?
Some vendors may not necessarily have to make a profit. If you also shoot and vending allows you to write off gas, lodging, etc. that is a win.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts