Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of us have been using the Vectan AS for years but it seems for now it is not available... I have a case left but for future use has anyone worked with the GM3 ?? Would be trap loads of both 1 and 1 1/8 ounce. Lots of loads listed but has anyone some results to report? Larry

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m a big fan of Vectan powder and use alot of D-20 for 1 oz and A-24 for 7/8 oz. My friend uses GM3 and likes it for loading 1 oz or 1.125 loads. D-20 and GM3 are close in burn rate but the GM3 is quite dense compared to D-20. He finds the Tgt-12 wad a good fit where I have to use the Fig-8 for proper stack height. To bad these powders will disappear soon.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I have been using it for 1 oz loads. I use a Fed. Gold medal hull, 12SO wad, 19.8 grs of GM3. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
999 Posts
You might as well buy some now before it's gone too.
I thought about buying it also since the price was so reasonable but decided to get IMR Red on sale.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Received quite a bit of data this morning from Cookoff013 about the powder and its use across the Atlantic...... combining that with the above posts and my review of load data for the powder gives me confidence it will do what I want. He was not sure what the result would be in extremely cold weather but I am sure it will do just fine. Here some of the winter shoots are really cold but I have never had issues even with some of the powders that are supposed to be sensitive. Thanks to all for your input................. Larry

·
Registered
261 Posts
I did the conversion for Vectan powders from the data they provide.
Straight wall Hull.
A24
688 primer
18.5 gr 24 gram (no psi or velocity provided)

As
688 primer
22.8 gr 24 gram 1361 FPS 7997 psi
20.8 gr. 28 gram 1230 FPS 8702 psi

A1
688 primer
25.46 gr 32 gram 1328 FPS 9572 psi
686 primer
27.00 gr 34 gram 1279 FPS 10442 psi

206V
688primer
21.6 gr 28 gram 1312 FPS 8412 psi

GM3
688 primer
23.9 gr 32 gram 1312 FPS 11748 psi

I have used A24, AS, A1, and 206V.
206V has become one of my favorite powders for 1 oz approx. 1300 FPS.
I wished I had bought more A24. Very bulky and clean burning.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made the change because of lack of powder at the time. It worked so well several of my friends did the same. Will there be more AS? Will Vectan still be available at all? Don't have a clue but I will keep using it as long as I can. Performance is one reason, price is another...... 1.1 lbs per jug is a 10% benefit.
Larry

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Placed an order last week for GM3 and A1. Vendor indicates powders in stock but china-flu causing delays in shipping. Be fun to try new, wish it was not because of no AS... Oh well................. Larry

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am also looking for a replacement for AS. I was going to order AS from Grafs on Thursday but knew I was going through Mexico the following Monday. Well Monday morning they were out. Was thinking about GM3. I did get 2 bottles of A1 to try for 1 1/8 loads. So far it seems to be doing good. Please let us know your thoughts on GM3. Will be using IMR Green for 1oz loads for now.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If Graf's timeline for shipping has not changed my order might ship before the end of the week. I had them put me on their "notify when in stock" list for the AS but I am not holding my breath..... Larry

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Received the powder, loaded a few.
Box to a friend, 20 grains, windjammer 1 1/8 oz, Win209 primer and WWhs hull....broke 24....... said recoil was no greater than the 1 oz I load him with the Vectan AS..... My son shot a box, called them "Wimpy", broke 23....... he usually also shoots the 1 oz he loads with Vectan AS.
Did a tiny Chrono test......... 20 grains (as above) 1230 fps, 21 grains and 1260 fps.... they do feel different.
Not as clean as AS, few flakes of ash in bore after 130 shots but bore still shiny and not streaked....Larry

·
Registered
802 Posts
Have you tried GM3 in a one ounce load. I did a very small test two federal shells and two Rem shells hand loaded. 19.2 gr - Rem hull /w209 tgt burned clean. 20.2 br - Fed Top Gun hull /Fio 616 CB6100 was very dirty. Looking for cleaner load for a Federal hull.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have 500 or so Federal GM once fired and the FIO primers, I will try to put something together before the weekend, Wad I have is the CB12S3..... might get out the Chrony also.....20 grains is the load I use for 1 1/8 oz Win AAHS so I suspect your Top Gun load was a bit on the mild side which would lead to contamination...... Larry

·
Registered
86 Posts
20 grains was not enough for 1 oz loads in a straight wall case for me.
Left the barrel very dirty. I have upped it to 22 grains and seems to be burning much cleaner.
My feeling is that it isn't better suited to 1 1/8oz loads but I only shoot 1oz loads on clay so will preserve with it as I have a few lb

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just returned from the range, 21.5 grains GM3, 1oz shot, 12S3 wad (did not have 12S0) Fed 209 primer and Fed Gold Medal wad.......... 1283 fps average on 5 rounds through the Chrony....... just a few ash flakes in the bore..... used a cyl choke during test so tighter choke might increase pressure and result in different bore results...... Larry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts