Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about making a purchase but I don't want to end up stuck with something I can't really use.

Who has tried one of these 3? What hull have you used? What did you think about it and would you buy it again? I guess if possible, rate what you have used on a scale 1-10 vs. your favorite powder of choice.

I know BPI has put out some new data. I've seen it around for awhile now and I see various post about using it; but mostly it has been in Europe and foreign hulls. Not that I can't convert and try myself but I'm wondering which of these 3 have you experienced and what performs the best with 1 to 1 1/8 oz & if anything other than Win hulls?

Not that we all don't love the AA HS .

Thanks in advance,

dk

·
Banned
853 Posts
I can't speak to GM3, or D20, but I've been doing extensive testing on Prima-V, 'AS', and 206-v, and I can tell you, you will really like Prima-V!

Based on BPI's recent "Load of the week" for Prima-V in 1-1/8th oz in a AA HS hull, I tried the same load and just reduced the shot charge from 1-1/8th oz to 1-ounce, and I really like load #2 shown here in my recent chrono tests :

Prima-V is an extremely fine powder, even more so than TiteWad, and it meters excellent. No smoke, and no smell from the powder in this load, and it is a total target evaporator. I am most impressed with Prima-V. like it better than any of the Alliant or Hodgdon canister powders.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too am interested in this discussion. I like to load Remington or AA hulls, 1 oz 7.5 @ 1250 fps to a max of 1280 fps and am unsure which of this three would work best. I prefer a medium speed powder like International rather than the faster powers. Fine powers like Titewad do migrate a bit on my Spolar but I could live with that if needed.

·
Banned
853 Posts
I too am interested in this discussion. I like to load Remington or AA hulls, 1 oz 7.5 @ 1250 fps to a max of 1280 fps and am unsure which of this three would work best. I prefer a medium speed powder like International rather than the faster powers. Fine powers like Titewad do migrate a bit on my Spolar but I could live with that if needed.
Then maybe you want to look at D20. It appears to be a little slower burning, and closer to International. Maybe something in between these two loads, say 21.0 grains ?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I will be trying out Vectan powder for the 1st time in a couple of weeks myself. Just ordered 10 bottles of AS from Powder Valley. There is a posted load from Grafs for a 7/8oz. load for 18gr. AS with a TGT12 wad in an AAHS hull. Says 1250FPS with 8900 PSI. That would be close to what I get with Alliant powders and is my favorite load performance wise. I would prefer an actual 7/8 oz. wad like the Grey Win. Or pink Downrange ,and a Remington hull but I won't complain because it wasn't difficult to obtain this powder during these times of constant shortage.
I am grateful to get an alternative powder source. Just like the great primer shortage of a few years back Nobel Sport comes in and saves the day. If I could get nothing else I could always get Nobel Sport primers. If this load is satisfactory Nobel Sport will have a customer for life.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the A0 is listed for heavier loads and there are several other powders listed for shotshell. From what I've read A0 has to be loaded w 1 1/4 oz or so to burn completely. Vectan has some info. listed as well as BPI. It is nice to get some feedback from anyone that has tried it, here in the states. Load info doesn't give feedback like how dirty or clean, how it patterns, powder throw problems, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
I am loading the AS powder in 1 1/8 oz. The Estate (made in France) has 19.4 grains of the AS in their straight wall Cheddite hull being ignited with the Cheddite primer. I use that load with a Fed 2o9 primer in straight wall hulls with the CB 12S3 wad. The load is very clean, runs a bit over 1200 fps and runs my Competition Synthetic quite easily. I have tried some rounds in Nitro27 hulls with the same primer and the CB1118 wad and the velocity is about the same but I have no idea at all what the pressure might be......... Larry

·
Registered
893 Posts
i got a 1 lb of prima-v and it looks just like the old REX POWDER SHOOTS DIRTY,, crono 18.5 got 1185 1 oz
tried 19.5 with 1/ 1/8 kick got 1211 crono.

all I can say try it, make your own call on it, the jury is still out here in Ohio.

targetbreaker

·
Banned
853 Posts
Something doesn't seem right there. What was your hull, wad, and primer for the 1-ounce load that you tested ?

BPI's load of the week shows 1,200 fps for 18.0 grains in the heaver 1-1/8th oz, so 18.0 grains in 1-ounce should produce over 1200 fps in 1-ounce (as shown in my chrono results in the post above).

Rex-0 was a flake powder, not a granular powder like Prima-V is. Rex-0 was a dirty powder, yes, but 18.0 grains of Prima-V is burning pretty darn clean in my 18.0 gain 1-ounce load in Remington Gun clubs. I don't see these powders as being similar either in looks, or in performance.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
The Vectan I have is the AS powder.
I ran a series through my Chrony. 10 rounds, 71°F, bright and sunny. Five feet from muzzle to screens.
GM hull, 12S3 wad, 1 1/8 shot, 20gr AS, Fed 209 primer. Average 1225fps. 14fps spread between high and low velocity.
Nitro 27, Windjammer wad, 1 1/8 shot, 18.4gr AS, Fed 209 primer. Average 1244fps. 9fps spread between high and low velocity.
Nitro 27, CB1118 wad, 1 1/8 shot, 18.4gr AS, Fed 209 primer. Average 1227. 16fps spread between high and low velocity.
Very very clean in my 1100 CS. Larry

·
Registered
319 Posts
Has anyone developed any loading data/info. on Vectan GM-3 powder?
Has anyone cooked up a comfortable 1oz load @ 1200 to 1230 fps....Using an STS, or Federal GM hull, with Rem. or Fed. Wad?
I'd be grateful for any help in this area

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Has anyone developed any loading data/info. on Vectan GM-3 powder?
Has anyone cooked up a comfortable 1oz load @ 1200 to 1230 fps....Using an STS, or Federal GM hull, with Rem. or Fed. Wad?
I'd be grateful for any help in this area
I'm loading the Vectan GM3 for long yardage handicap and really like it. I'm loading 22.5gr GM3 in a Federal GM hull, Federal primer, original Windjammer 1 1/8oz wads, and 492gr #8 magnum shot. I chronographed a string of 10 shots using this load with an average 1235fps. Pressure is in the mid 8000 psi according to the original Vectan powder guide. This load burns extremely clean, is fast, and very mild recoil. I would compare it favorably to my Green Dot loads in a STS hull with 21.5gr, Windjammer wad and Federal primers. I like the GM3 so much, I just ordered a case of 20 1.1lb cans. It took care of my powder shortage, and I think I will stay with the Vectan for a while. Meters better than most powders for sure. I would be happy to email you a copy of the Vectan guide which shows some 1oz loads using the GM3, however, I think one of their other powders may be a better fit..... All the listed 1oz loads for GM3 start a 1300fps and go up from there.... If you would like a copy of the guide, PM your email address to me and I'll send it to you...

Reactions: 2llc
1 - 14 of 14 Posts