Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear JON O

I got mine from them too. They work great, I can once again hear birds, insects, and children playing in the park.

No complaints.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Can you give me some detail information about the hearing aids? Like the name of manufacturer, aid model and approximate cost. I am very much in need of a hearing aid. I did try one about a year ago and was not satisfied with the results. Took the aids back to health care provider. The only good thing about not hearing well is, I can not hear any rattles in my car. Rattles use to bother me so much that I had to hunt them down and fix them. Problems are I can not hear my car running when I start the engine. Can not hear the turn signals and sometimes I travel for miles with the turn signals on. Tom

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
The VA will provide hearing aids for eligible Veterans at no cost. They also give you a life time supply of batteries. My name brand is ReSound. They are about three thousand dollars if you buy them. The first thing you need to do is make an appointment at your nearest VA clinic or hospital for a hearing test. They may require initial registration on the VA website. If you have access to a State paid VA rep. he'll help. I also have the pocket remote control which comes in handy especially at movies. Any further information can be obtained on the VA website.

blade819

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
I BOUGHT a pair of resound at costco.. Non VA deal --as i am not a vet-- was 2400 out the door. Remote was 150. extra. I like mine. three year warranty and if the dog chews them i can get a free set no charge.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Old Uncle Louie was very very rich, but deaf! He always invited him to any family event ... but ... anyone that wanted to talk to him had to shout so that he could hear them.

All of Louie's older friends got after him to get hearing aids. They said that with his money, why not enjoy life better by being able to hear again?

After getting his hearing tested and purchasing an 'in ear' type, the Audiologist said "Wear then for a couple of months until you get used to them and then come back for a fine tuning."

Two months later he was back and the Audiologist asked how he liked them so far?

Uncle Louie said "They work great! I have changed my Will 2 times already!"

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Eligibility for VA health care is dependent upon a number of variables, which may influence the final determination of the services for which you qualify.

These factors include the nature of a veteran's discharge from military service (e.g., honorable, other than honorable, dishonorable), length of service, VA adjudicated disabilities (commonly referred to as service-connected disabilities), income level, and available VA resources among others.

http://www.military.com/benefits/veterans-health-care/va-health-care-eligibility.html

Annual Income Thresholds

Please review the documents below to learn more about VA National Income Thresholds for prescription and medical benefits.

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/cost/income_thresholds.asp

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
hippie... I can tell you what my qualification was. I first registered for the Agent Orange registry with the VA. They essentially give you a complete physical to determine if you have a Presumptive Condition. After I got through all of that, I mentioned to the VA in Decatur GA that I wanted to schedule a hearing test. Failed that and was fitted for free hearing aids. I believe the only requirement is an Honorable Discharge. You can probably find more info on their web site (what Joe listed) or call your State Rep.

blade819

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I got a pair of 'em just earlier last fall supplied by the VA. I'm 60% disabled from gunshot wounds/nerve damage. VA approved my application for hearing aids and authorized me to go to any one of a list of audiologists that they worked with in Montana so I went to the one I got my ESP shooting plugs from a few years ago as he was one of the ones on the list. The brand is Starkey and I understand they cost the taxpayer $7000, didn't cost me a thing (well maybe I prepaid in blood?). The first set were those really little ones that fit way down in the ear canal and I didn't like 'em because I had trouble getting 'em in. I took 'em back after a couple days and told 'em to make me some of them BIG ones, the same size a my ol' shooting plugs..........I don't care if people see I'm wearing hearing aids. I REALLY like these! Oh yeah, and free batteries for life.

John C. Saubak

·
Registered
696 Posts
I went to the VA one time and asked if they would fill my prescriptions, they said I would have to qualify I showed them my retired military ID they said I still had to qualify, they gave me a pile of forms about an inch thick said fill these out, they wanted more info than the IRS, I told them I don't need you to do this that bad, every 3 months I drive 50 miles to a military base and get my meds, don't have to kiss anyone's Azz either. Woody

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
I have been real lucky, the VA in our area N Texas, is super good to deal with, I usually go to Bonham, but sometimes I have to go to Dallas, not that the Dallas VA is bad, the part of town it is in is real bad, but I usually ride the bus, so it's better

·
Registered
152 Posts
ReconDoc
I too applied,and after 6 years of service, was told I did not

meet their "MEANS TEST"Was given a stack of applications and told I

could appeal.I told the Interviewer "K.M.A".Im not going to beg for them.!

.If you have NO service connected disabilities you'll probably be S.O.L.

Been there done that.

Jim Sims
U.S.A.F. 64-70

·
2,755 Posts
I am service connected and regularly use the VA for most of my medical needs. We have (at least so I've been told) the two largest in the country here in the TampaBay area-Haley in Tampa and Bill Young at Bay Pines.

But I never sought to be service connected for hearing loss. My primary referred me to the Audiology Department where there are a number of young men/women finishing out their residency to be ear docs.

I was very impressed by all that I met in that department. The offered a choice-the big ones like Old Cowboy picked that look almost like the ear plugs many trapshooters wear, the itty bitty ones with a small remote control (my choice) and the third which is great for those who wear glasses as the mic is concealed behind the ear under the temple or arm of the frame.

There was no requirement to be service connected, only to be getting VA services. I think I was the only service connected vet in the little class they have explaining how to use and care for your hearing aids.

One of the guys in that class asked about the cost and the tech said, "No cost, you already paid for them."

Bob

·
Registered
511 Posts
For those who do not qualify for VA hearing aids and are paying out of pocket I recommend you check out Costco. Pricing almost too good to be true. They offer a hour long hearing evaluation for no charge. I paid $1,900 for a pair with remote control that are better than the $3,500 pair I replaced. Long waits for an appointment in my area.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I tried to sign up on the internet Monday but the application would not "send". I copied the paperwork off and took it to the area VA Clinic. They referred me to the VA Hospital. Eventually I was able to have all of my info entered into the system and was given a phone number to schedule an appointment with the TeleCare Nurse. They were not able to issue an ID card because their camera was broken and they had no idea when it might be replaced. I spent about an hour listening to recorded messages before I gave up on scheduling an appointment.

Everyone I talked to was trying to be helpful. I suspect many of them were volunteers or recent hires. Long term employees were possibly on Christmas vacation. I'm sure they will eventually fill my hearing aid needs. I noticed that one of the recorded messages I kept hearing was a plea for more volunteers. Ron

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
It does seem like the cameras to make ID cards are always broken

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I have VA aids, PHONOAK Naida S. Button on right ear turns them up and button left ear turns them down. This is my second set and they are SUPER! Jake

1 - 18 of 18 Posts