Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes they can. See the link above for all the guidelines via USPS website. No handguns can be shipped but long guns can.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Shotguns and rifles not a problem if shipping for repair or to yourself.

No markings on the package to indicate it's a firearm.

If shipping out of state to sell (or give away) you must ship to an FFL. Check your state laws on shipping within the state.

If a handgun you would use FEDEX or UPS. From what I read, FEDEX is what is used. If you desire to use the post office you must have an FFL ship it for you.

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
"Go to a dealer and have him ship it for you by USPS!!"

Why bother, other than putting some money into the dealer's pocket???

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
I return guns and receivers all the time with the USPS, but not pistols; normally using Priority Mail. It is fast, very safe, but insurance is the only drawback.

No one needs an FFL to ships a gun in for work, only when a TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP takes place, and then it MUST be done from FFL to FFL.

Anyone can send a gun to an FFL for repair work and it can legally be returned to that owner. It would be next to impossible for a gun owner to get, for instance, a copy of Remington's FFL to ship a gun to them for repair. That just isn't going to happen.

I *just* had that issue with a FedEx office in Yuma AZ. They required the owner to provide to them for filing purposes a copy of MY FFL. I faxed them information that (1) they are ignorant of their own policies, (2) they absolutely cannot keep my FFL on file, (3) they were making it very difficult for a customer to ship his Perazzi in for repairs, and (4) I provided them the link to log onto the BATFE site to verify the receiver's (my) FFL.

I also informed an executive friend of mine in FedEx's corporate office about the hassle they were giving to my customer. I've not heard anything back from Atlanta, but I do know that when the customer came back in, they were very cordial to him and his gun was shipped out without any further problem(s).

UPS Stores, not UPS actual facilities normally will not ship guns either. I understand it is their company policy. They take mine, but are careful not to ask me what is in the box. Should it be a problem I just hand it over to the UPS driver.

Whiz

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
I even had a rifle (Browning Winchester 1986 .45-70) mailed from the dealer in Kalispell, MT to my post office in Lethbridge, Alberta back in 1987 before the rules and regulations got so constipated. Took all of a week. Don't even think the dealer could sell me the gun period now, or mail it to Canada.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned. It appears the USPS has become "one of the boys" when it comes to ammo and firearms. They should welcome you with open arms.

Bob Falfa

No wonder there's nothing out there to buy.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Wonder why they(USPS) will ship shotguns and rifles but not pistols? I mean I wonder what their line of thinking is?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just shipped my CG back to the factory yesterday for a pit stop and some other stuff. I walked into the post office with it all packed up and ready to go and told the guy it was my shotgun going back to the factory. He said any ammo with it and I told him no and that it was broken down. He said good and took my money with a smile. Terry

·
Banned
302 Posts
My wife has an online account with the USPS for shipping her few EBay ventures.... I package the gun up, weigh it and measure it myself, print out the label, schedule the pickup and wait for my mailman to pick it up from me. No questions ever asked.... It's dead simple....

·
Supporting Vendor
5,506 Posts
Only a FFL dealer can ship a handgun to another FFL dealer via the USPS.

Unless your FFL dealer charges more than $20 you can usually ship a handgun for less dealer to dealer via Priority Mail compared to UPS or FedEx 2nd day air. The receiving party must pay his FFL dealer a fee anyway.

I had my dealer ship the last handgun I sold for $30 ($10 FFL transfer fee plus $20 Priority Mail Insured). UPS or FedEx would have cost $45.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Registered
373 Posts
FYI. A buddy of mine sent me two stocks, they arrived with the box damaged, I opened it to check out the contents, one stock was cracked. Located the postal courier down the street, he told me to take it the the P.O. in the A.M. just the way it was received. Next morning I did and they had me fill out a damage report, kept the item and packaging and told me they would contact the sender once they inspected it. Well the sender was never contacted, he called me to check on it. I returned to the P.O. They now told me that the sender had to complete a form on his end, news to me. I contacted the seller and told him this new info. He contacted the dept. that deals with damaged packages. Told him since he had it insured he needs the P.O. receipt and get this "NEEDS A PURCHASE RECEIPT DOCUMENTING THE COST OF THE ITEM HE SHIPPED". Who the hell has receipts for stocks taken off a gun or how many people even have receipts for guns the purchased years ago. I can't even find receipts from items I purchased yesterday. In addition, I have never been informed of this policy from the P.O. when I properly insure and ship a $25000.00 gun using registered/insured mail. On top of this, they informed us that they need pic's of the damaged item and said one of us should take them. When I went to get the package to comply I was told if I take the package back it would void his claim and they showed a note on form 1000 that the addressee can never return a damaged package back to the seller, I questioned this policy and was informed that damaged items should be returned to the P.O. I told them thats what I did and you HAVE THE PACKAGE. Now the 60 day time limit is running out and they still have the damaged item. Seems like the RIGHT HAND does not know what the LEFT is doing. Anyone have this type of problem with a claim or any insight on this screwed up "policy". Would like to know before I ship via USPS in the future. No wonder they are billions of dollars in the hole. Jeff

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason I asked...

I went to the USPS and they had a sign posted that said no firearms allowed on the premises. I asked if no firearms are allowed, how is one to ship a firearm via USPS? I was told point blank that no firearms can be shipped via USPS and the clerk pulled out a USPS issued matrix that clearly showed that firearms were not to be shipped. I was surprised to say the least.

So now I'm not so sure whether or not a firearm can be shipped via USPS. To those that are shipping firearms that way, are you declaring to the USPS that you are shipping a firearm or simply say nothing?

This has left me confused.

Jim C

·
Just getting by.....
1,093 Posts
Cyrus,

The insurance is the shippers to file and yes we need some proof as to the value of the item being shipped.

The shipper should have filed the 1000, then the PO could have asked for you to bring the stock and packaging in for inspection.

I have attached a link for the guidelines

Tim

·
Just getting by.....
1,093 Posts
Bluzman98,

Yes you can mail your shotgun. The clerk you spoke to was incorrect. I have attached a link to the Gunbroker guidelines for shipping which are correct for USPS.

Next time ask for the supervisor or postmaster.

Print this if you have to.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Tim

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I was once told by a postal clerk that guns can not be shipped. I said sternly "Yes they can". She looked at me with a puzzled look and said "OK". Marc

1 - 20 of 26 Posts