Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started using baby socks when cleaning my barrels. They are rather inexpensive and work really well. After brushing the barrels, I slide a baby sock over a wooly mop and push them through the barrel. Usually they will stay on when pulling the mop back through the barrel. This saves the wooly mop getting dirty quickly and the socks are washable and reusable. Is anyone else using baby socks for this?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I have started using baby socks when cleaning my barrels. They are rather inexpensive and work really well. After brushing the barrels, I slide a baby sock over a wooly mop and push them through the barrel. Usually they will stay on when pulling the mop back through the barrel. This saves the wooly mop getting dirty quickly and the socks are washable and reusable. Is anyone else using baby socks for this?
Baby socks? Nope

Do you know how many cleaning patches you can make out of a T shirt?? A lot

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Baby socks - sure, if it works for you.
Not rocket science cleaning a shotgun.
I buy multi yards of diaper flannel when on sale at the fabric store, and cut it myself. ( Or the wife with her rotary cutter, if she's feeling helpful.)
Big ones for shotgun, and smaller for rifle, and really small for .22.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I took a 5/8" x 36" wooden dowel rod and added a t- handle., I then eased the other end of the rod. I cut paper towels into 3" squares and push through the barrels after brushing. The gap between the 5/8" rod with paper towel on it and the 12 ga barrel makes for a snug fit. A cheap and effective cleaning tool. I made other rods for other guages, 1/2" for 20 ga and 3/8" for 28 ga.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I use a cleaning solvent, run a "Bisley" brush (way better than the typical brushes) through the barrel vigorously, then wrap half a paper towel around one of these jags, repeat until the paper towel comes out clean.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts