Trapshooters Forum banner

Using a Pattern Board

1709 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Ram Rod
As I’ve been reading through posts a lot of people tell posters to take their gun to the pattern board. I understand why it’s important to see how your shotgun patterns with different chokes. My question is how far back do you shoot from? What else can I learn from this?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
544 Posts
I'm my experience the late Neil Winston wrote the seminal article on pattern testing.

Take a look at the attached file.

There are, of course other options, but this one is very well researched, supported, and explained.

Attachments

· Registered
419 Posts
POI and patterning are two different things! POI should be done around 16yrds and with a tight choke the point of the test is to see where your gun actually shoots high left, low right etc. Then the necessary changes can be made more cast or raise the comb or move the comb to center the pattern. Patterning can be don afterwards at different distances to determine what shell or load patterns the best from your shotgun. Yes the percentage of your pattern can be moved depending on how you want the gun to shoot. Hope this helps

· Premium Member
6,306 Posts
My question is how far back do you shoot from? What else can I learn from this?
Good question
How far ?
Try to figure out how far out you break your targets.
Singles 32 yards
Handicap 40 yards
What can I learn?
1 poi. The point where the center of the pattern is located in relation to the poa ( point of aim)
This test is important to find out barrel regulation for o/u guns.
It could save you from waisting thousands $ shooting a gun that can never let you achieve your full potential.
2 pattern percentage
The number of pellets that fall inside a 30 inch circle at 40 yards.
To do this you would count the number of pellets in the shells to be tested and count pellet strikes in the paper .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.