Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to some stuff I read on the internet a HSA will cover hearing protection if you have a letter of medical necessity from a physician. Has anyone ever done this? I am assuming the letter would just say to wear when you are around loud bangs to mitigate worsening hear loss. I am sure someone could think of a more eloquent way to phrase this. Thanks in advance, I always have money left over and it is probably the only way I could justify some molded plugs.

· Registered
94 Posts
The small company I work for has a list of acceptable expenses for our HSA. I have purchased ear plugs and shooting glasses we recieved 50% back up to a set limit. They also talk about memberships and league fees so this year I'm going to try putting my club fees through. Check with you're employer to you maybe surprised what they will cover.
Darrell

· Registered
119 Posts
Slowveloce I appreciate the tip about the different colors. Any brand/model you would recommend.
I don't think there was a brand involved. I live in the KC area and they sent them out to Colorado Springs to be made. I love them, way better than foam to me and easy to clean. Appointment took about 15 minutes.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

· Registered
715 Posts
I used an HSA attached to my company for a number of years and it helped me out a few times...but they were NOTORIOUS for not wanting to pay for things. Even things they had listed as acceptable. I used to get so pissed off as it's MY money I was spending unlike insurance payments. It was like the Administrators of the accounts felt like you were spending their money.

Reactions: rautdr

· Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I used mine 2 years ago to buy Pilla glasses and have since used it every year to stock up on lenses. I think you would be just fine using it for hearing protection.
The clause, at least in my health plan, is something along the lines of "Sporting Protective Equipment". I have done everything online for the reimbursement and use my airline credit card so I get miles on the purchase and when I receive the funds just pay off my card. It happens fast enough that I never even incur an interest charge.

· Registered
586 Posts
As others have mentioned, you can use an HSA card to pay for hearing protection. My wife is an Audiologist. I can’t recommend enough going to a CERTIFIED Dr of Audiology for all your hearing needs. You should be getting your ears/hearing checked yearly. Have them make your ear plugs and you won’t ever regret it. The crap that people (and they’re not licensed) make on the spot at shoot meets is just that, crap. I’ve used it before and since meeting my wife and seeing the difference of what Audiologists can provide, it’s a whole other realm of hearing protection and comfort. We spend hundreds if not thousands on eye protection and then I see people use the cheapest crap to protect their hearing.

· Registered
128 Posts
According to some stuff I read on the internet a HSA will cover hearing protection if you have a letter of medical necessity from a physician. Has anyone ever done this? I am assuming the letter would just say to wear when you are around loud bangs to mitigate worsening hear loss. I am sure someone could think of a more eloquent way to phrase this. Thanks in advance, I always have money left over and it is probably the only way I could justify some molded plugs.
I have used HSA funds for hearing protectors and prescription shooting glasses.

· Registered
1 Posts
Yes, paying would be the surest and easiest solution. I don't quite understand why, but my friends are sure it's a good idea. It's been a long time since I've discussed this topic with anyone and I've missed it so much. Is this document really that important? I think the system can be easily circumvented. Taking care of your health, do not forget that our hobby requires a lot of energy. I take supplements every time I go out shooting with friends or alone (Energy Renew Reviews (Gundry MD) 2021 & 33% Off Deal) and it's energizing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.