Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When people see postings like on the guns for sale what do you think when pictures show heavy use or poor maintenance.
Do you just turn the page, or think you can put a few bucks in it and turn it over for use or profit? Some of the more perfect guns I see and have bought sometimes have a problem and the ones that look like heavy use shoot great and someone really enjoyed it.
I sometimes wonder about the sport and think that we might be the trailing end to buy the high end shotguns. 15 years ago people were buying old muscle cars and referring them to their 401k. What happened there? I am sure some are underwater on those.
When I buy, I like clean used guns for a fair price. The cost of refurbishing is high and the wait is long. By the same token, new is getting unattainable.
I am mostly talking trap guns and I have plenty and for some reason always want more. A seasoned trap shooter was talking with me about this and wanted some national feedback. I know there are many frugal shooters by me and I know there are plenty high end places to shoot elsewhere.
Do we consider our good guns 401's or just big boys toys(tools of the trade).
Dan

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My wife wonders why I need such a expensive shotgun to break a 8 cent target.She also comments on the 15 grand boat to catch $10 bucks worth of fish.I often wonder if she is right.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would prefer to buy a quality gun than trying to refurbish. There can be too many potential problems with a gun that can only be see over the net. If it does not look well maintained I would pass.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It all depend on the price you paid, and what your intention was.

I don't buy "NIB" used guns at NIB prices, nor I'll buy "Mint" condition guns at close to NIB prices because what am I going to do with it?
Can't shoot it, can't play with it often, it'll depreciate if you put marks on it. You have to keep them NIB as safe queen to retain their value.

Most of the best deals were used guns showing their age.
Take Perazzi for example, generally they only depreciate once, a used MX8 is always a used MX8, as long you don't wear it out too obviously, the price remained pretty much the same.

As for retirement planing, in most cases gun collection as 401k is wishful thinking, or an excuse to buy more toys.
Only in very rare cases, gun value appreciation can exceed a well executed investment plan.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sometime take better care of mine than myself. Do you shoot your good guns if it might rain? By us, in the snow? I'm getting better about enjoying them though.
The only thing about Boys toys is, well you know what I mean.
I hope someone's there when we get old and need to cash out. And I'm 60
PS. I ain't done yet

·
Registered
72 Posts
Buy high, sell low and pay the shipping both ways seems to be the internet norm.
Buying used only from people I know and when I have personally handled and shot the gun.
gary

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I don't disagree with JSLP but the OP said "heavy use or poor maintenance". To me, heavy use is not honest wear...its heavy use that is apparent. Also, poor maintenance means that if I think its been poorly maintained then think about all of the lack of care I don't know about.

Nice used guns are one thing...recently bought an honestly worn 682 Greystone 12/20 two barrel set and will use it as an upland gun. But I would not consider it in any way heavily used or poorly maintained. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
If it's not "brand new in the box" most Perazzi have some blue wear showing.
Nature of the guns.
Does that make the gun unfit to shoot?

·
Registered
22,819 Posts
JSLP said "Most Cases" but perhaps the exception to that rule is found in the current issue of the American Rifleman article about Colt "Snake" guns.

·
Registered
22,819 Posts
When people see postings like on the guns for sale what do you think when pictures show heavy use or poor maintenance.
Do you just turn the page, or think you can put a few bucks in it and turn it over for use or profit? Some of the more perfect guns I see and have bought sometimes have a problem and the ones that look like heavy use shoot great and someone really enjoyed it.
I sometimes wonder about the sport and think that we might be the trailing end to buy the high end shotguns. 15 years ago people were buying old muscle cars and referring them to their 401k. What happened there? I am sure some are underwater on those.
When I buy, I like clean used guns for a fair price. The cost of refurbishing is high and the wait is long. By the same token, new is getting unattainable.
I am mostly talking trap guns and I have plenty and for some reason always want more. A seasoned trap shooter was talking with me about this and wanted some national feedback. I know there are many frugal shooters by me and I know there are plenty high end places to shoot elsewhere.
Do we consider our good guns 401's or just big boys toys(tools of the trade).
Dan

Even from the table at a shoot you will see guns that are obviously shot and not cleaned. The demo dirties them and they look like 'poor maintenance' guns. You have to know what the situation is before you can really make a hard judgement but if it is on the internet and I don't have a little bit of history with the seller ( personal or feedback over a period of time from others dealings with the seller ) I steer clear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts