Trapshooters Forum banner

used Perazzi MX8

4625 Views 29 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  rcwild1
Been trying to do some research about used MX8's. From what I've gathered:

Type 4 is generally preferred over Type 3
the 31.5" barrels have better resale value then <30"
Type 4 would have thin wall chokes vs Type 3 may have fixed chokes?
Type 3 has more potential for foreend cracking
Type 3 can be converted to Type 4 for maybe $600-$800??

current General $$ range
type 3 $3500-$4000+
type 4 $4000-$4500+

Just kinda throwing around the idea now. My son has a 13.75" LOP so I know we need something that can take adjustable spacers at the butt.

Anything else I've missed? There don't seem to be a lot of these for sale in this price range. What's the general price of a replacement T3 fore-end?

edit to add: the closest club to us (but not where he's been shooting) requires steel shot, so that would be pretty important. I hope all of the MX8's would handle this with the appropriate choke, but I did want to mention this.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2,051 Posts
I don't know about steel shot, but both are great guns. I would like to have just a small percentage of the money Dan Bonillas won with a MX3, so don't be afraid of that model, either, given good condition.
In a nutshell, resale, and not performance, will be the difference between type 3 and type 4 Perazzis.
Type 3 guns are rapidly becoming less popular with buyers than are type 4s, because type 4 barrels, stocks, etc, are interchangeable among other MX models.
The most important thing is to get something reliable and get shooting.

· Registered
3,088 Posts
thanks - so buying this as a forever gun, I should worry less about type?
Correct. You can add type 4 barrels (with type 4 forearm) later if you want to go to different (like longer) type 4 barrels. Plenty of good type 3 barrels out there as well though.

If you are already set on just the MX8 model name then no biggie but generally Comp 1s and MX3 specials (not mx3) also have the same barrel lugs and drop out trigger and work the same way.

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,638 Posts
I own a Type 3 w/32" bbls sporting Briley thin wall chokes. I am awaiting the gunsmith I deal with to notify me when to send it for fitting a Type 4 forend. My gun still wears the original Type 3 forend and there are no cracks in it. I don't know how many rounds were shot through it by the previous owner but I would say a bunch. I liike the way the gun handles, it's real sweet for doubles which is what I bought it for. I shoot singles with a TMS(TM1 w/factory screw chokes).

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are already set on just the MX8 model name then no biggie but generally Comp 1s and MX3 specials (not mx3) also have the same barrel lugs and drop out trigger and work the same way.
Not stuck on the MX8 but that seems to be the most common and popular model so that kind of why I gravitated that way. thanks for the other models - give me something else to read up on

· Registered
766 Posts
Been trying to do some research about used MX8's. From what I've gathered:

Type 4 is generally preferred over Type 3
the 31.5" barrels have better resale value then <30"
Type 4 would have thin wall chokes vs Type 3 may have fixed chokes?
Type 3 has more potential for foreend cracking
Type 3 can be converted to Type 4 for maybe $600-$800??

current General $$ range
type 3 $3500-$4000+
type 4 $4000-$4500+

Just kinda throwing around the idea now. My son has a 13.75" LOP so I know we need something that can take adjustable spacers at the butt.

Anything else I've missed? There don't seem to be a lot of these for sale in this price range. What's the general price of a replacement T3 fore-end?

edit to add: the closest club to us (but not where he's been shooting) requires steel shot, so that would be pretty important. I hope all of the MX8's would handle this with the appropriate choke, but I did want to mention this.
1. It's not that easy to find a type IV MX8 at your suggested price range.

2. Converting type III barrel to type IV is part of the upgrade, you will need a type IV forearm set. That is an over $1000 item.

3. Type III forearm wood has a risk of developing crack behind the iron, but it is not as common as you think. If it cracked, it is not an expensive fix. And a cracked forearm wood on a type III gun will not affect function AT ALL.

4. Older Perazzi type II, type III, (type I is not likely to be found these days) are mostly hand build by very high skilled workers, some people consider them the best Perazzi compare to run by the mill guns.
The problem is finding one that is well taken cared and not modified. High mileage is never an issue with Perazzi, the design was making it very easy to re-build and very cost effective.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So maybe type 4 is a little out of my budget.

realizing there will always be extra nice variants as well as beat up examples, what so you think the realistic range is for average to nice mx8 type 3?

i think theres one at the local club. Believe he was asking 4500 and I also belive there was a crack in the fore end. Im thinking thats probably on the high side, just not sure if close or way off. Granted, without more details, i realize it makes no sense to guess.

· Sky Buster
4,484 Posts
So maybe type 4 is a little out of my budget.

realizing there will always be extra nice variants as well as beat up examples, what so you think the realistic range is for average to nice mx8 type 3?

i think theres one at the local club. Believe he was asking 4500 and I also belive there was a crack in the fore end. Im thinking thats probably on the high side, just not sure if close or way off. Granted, without more details, i realize it makes no sense to guess.
Factor in the cost of a spare trigger assembly. You will need it because of hammer springs breakage
common on the MX guns.

· Premium Member
8,307 Posts
I don't know about steel shot, but both are great guns. I would like to have just a small percentage of the money Dan Bonillas won with a MX3, so don't be afraid of that model, either, given good condition.
In a nutshell, resale, and not performance, will be the difference between type 3 and type 4 Perazzis.
Type 3 guns are rapidly becoming less popular with buyers than are type 4s, because type 4 barrels, stocks, etc, are interchangeable among other MX models.
The most important thing is to get something reliable and get shooting.

You wouldn't like to have the money Bonillas won with his MX8?

· Super Moderator
Perazzi MX10RS 32/34 Combo w/Allor tuned barrels, K80 Parcours 32"
3,739 Posts
Factor in the cost of a spare trigger assembly. You will need it because of hammer springs breakage
common on the MX guns.
And repairable in about 5 minutes. You don't need a spare trigger.

· Registered
5,327 Posts
man, im glad you said this.....i was confused. I was just reading on triggers and def saw mention that the springs were cheap and easily replaceable. But then i saw triggers for $500 plus so didnt understand.
The replaceable trigger group is really designed for ISSF trap (bunker) where a broken gun cannot be replaced and the shooter has 3 minutes (I think-it may be less) to repair the gun.

While it is possible to replace a V spring in that period of time, I wouldn't want to try it, especially under pressure with a clock on me and perhaps an international or Olympic medal on the line.

hence, the drop out trigger.

A spare trigger group is a nice accessory but not strictly needed unless you are playing those games, imho.

Having said that, I'd have one just because I could.

· Registered
73 Posts
common on the MX guns.
I bought an MX8 back in 1995. I have about 40,000 rounds through it and it's still on it's original springs. In fact, not one single thing has broken or worn out yet. I'll probably send it in for freshen-up soon, but I think the stories of MX guns being prone to spring failures are over stated. They are probably the single most reliable guns you can buy.

· Registered
371 Posts
And repairable in about 5 minutes. You don't need a spare trigger.
I bought my MX-8 new in 1991, have shot a gazilion rounds thru it and never needed a spare trigger. But, I always have a spare set of springs. I agree that it only takes 5 minutes to change ... Squad waits for me or I make up a few targets on the practice trap.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.