Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father recently purchased a 2014 vehicle that was sold to him as a new vehicle. The car had approximately 250 miles at the time he took delivery of the car. My father quizzed the sales person about the milage and was told that was check out mileage or something to that effect. My father was programing the car's phone directory and found a name programed in, became curious and called the number. Come to find out it was the previous owner who's wife did not like the vehicle and they returned the car and traded for a different model. I think the dealership has committed fraud by listing the car as new. Comments, suggestions.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I had precisely the same thing happen to me. Just over 200 miles on the odometer. I was suspicious about the mileage and lack of original window sticker so I paid for a CarFax after I took delivery (I never should have accepted it). Despite the title from the dealer showing that I was the original owner, the CarFax revealed that someone had indeed titled it previously. How was this possible? I have no idea but one phone call to the dealership owner threatening legal action, involvement of the state attorney general and a TV consumer news report and I had my refund in under 10 minutes.

If the dealer had told me the truth I might have said no big deal. The fact that they lied to my face and committed fraud is what made me go straight to guns.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Not debunking what has been said.However another way milage can occur,I know,because I've done it is two dealers making a swap.Rather than ship the cars they find someone(like me at one time)to drive one car to the dealer the swap is made with,and drive the other car back.Usually the milage is under 100 miles in this case.I do agree though in both said instances the car was miss represented.

Doug H.(pa)

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
O yeah...fraud...If I liked the car Id take it to CarMax and get a purchase/tradein offer in writing then sue for the difference between that depreciated value and what you paid yourself

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
I know a guy who sold a guy a "new home" that had been lived in for three months while the renter's home was rebuilt from fire damage. That guy went Chapter 11, three years later.

Bob Falfa

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
If the car was sold and licensed and dealership takes the car back it cannot be sold as a new vehicles. Must be sold as used. If the dealership sell a new vehicle and a couple days later the owner takes it back to the dealership and the dealership unwinds the deal, give the guy his money back or he buys another vehicle the car can still be sold as a new vehicle.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses, mileage no big deal but the fact the dealer did not disclose someone else had possession of vehicle is deceptive.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I was the Service Manager at a GM dealership when the 2.5, four cylinder was blowing head gaskets.

A friend of one of the techs came in with a 2.5, and the common water loss problem.

This car was bought new by his wife from this very dealership, and was still under warranty for the first owner.

We did the tear down, and sure enough, the head was cracked, so I ordered a head and all associated parts.

I thought I would get a jump on the warranty payment, and turned it in that night.

Next morning, notice came that it was not being covered, and I immediately saw why.

Vehicle showed up as a different original owner, traded back to selling dealer, then sold at the Indianapolis auction!( Had to do some searching to find this)

How can this be? I went to the owner........WOW-E-BOB!!!!!!

He told me to charge everything back to the used car sales dept., as they had bought it at auction, and tried to get by with telling the wife it was a GM company demo. He expected me to lie to the owner, and keep it all hush-hush.

I'm not that kind of person, so I called the owner, explained everything, gave him all the paperwork, and I quit!

The man had the guts to call me about 8 months later and offer me my job back with more money.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I used to drive VW trades to the Twin cities, about 200 plus miles. It was simply a matter of either dealer needing a different color/equipment, etc.

Never gave the "new" designation a thought. If a car gets dinged doing this I suppose it's a different matter.

HM

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Our dealer always deliver our vehicles using flat-beds to our driveway, usually we see 5~8 miles on the odometer.

One time the manager told me one particular vehicle identical to the one I ordered has $1,000 extra discount because it has a "Used" title with 38 miles on the odometer. What happened was the owner's wife droves it for half a day under the demo title then she decided she wants another color, Mercedes N. America would not let them sell the vehicle as a new car because of it.

Ever since that, I always ask him if he has anything with 138 miles for $2,000 less?

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
If the car was titled ,they committed fraud-tell them you will go to the Attorney General unless they make proper restitution--if you want, yo've got them by the B---s.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
Do you really want to get some action? Find out who the factory rep is for that dealership and pitch your complaint to that person.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
A few years back BMW lost a major law suit to an buyer of one of their cars.

The car had been damaged in shipping - and was repaired and repainted - then sold as new.

Buyer found out and sued under I believe AL law - verdict was four million dollars for the knowing fraud - later reduced through SCOTUS.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
It would seem that if the car was titlted to another owner it is fraud. If there was a grace period in time/milage to return the car then maybe not. At least some discount should be given to your dad and an apology from the sales manager for the deception.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I saw a car get damaged when something on the car carrier broke. They fixed it and sold it as new. This was probably 25 years ago, I don't know if it was legal or not.

I have also seen the lot guys in the storage yard picking cars and putting them on the carrier. Find the car, start it, push the pedal to the floor, drop it in gear and blast it to the loading area. Then we buy them acting like they are virgins and baby them for a couple thousand miles.

In 1981 I bought my first brand new motorcycle. I was there the day it came in the crate and watched the mechanic put it together. I actually did the test ride, so I was the only one who ever rode it. I babied it very gently and it kept buring oil. I was ticked because the dealer agreed it was using oil but the consumption was within normal range. Buy the end of the summer, I figured I would trade it in anyway and started running the crap out of it. As soon as it warmed up, I would redline, grab a gear, redline again. The darn thing started running better, and the oil consumption went to zero. I ran that bike hard for 90,000 more miles and it was running like a champ the day I sold it.

I have since bought a couple of salesman demo cars, and had no trouble, but I was always told they were demonstrators. They are technically used, but I was not misled.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Many things can happen to you when you purchase a car with some mileage on it. A good friend of mine bought his wife an Iroc Camero a few years back. It was a year old and was sold as an executive driven car. They loved it. It preformed as expected and looked good and his wife was happy with it. About three weeks after they had bought the car he comes home from work and he said there were several state officials around the frame of the car. There were other agency people there also including the FBI. The car was taken apart (all removable sheet metal) and they were examining the pieces. It seems that this car had been bought and stolen and chop shopped and sold then stolen again and chop shopped a second time and then run through an auction and the dealer then sold it as an executive driven car. The car was put on a tow trailer and he never saw it again.

My buddy then went to a lawyer and back to the dealer. The dealer kept his name out of the paper by paying the rest of what was owed on the car and GIVING my buddy and his wife a brand new Camero. It was problematic to deal with but he came out "smelling like a rose".

He found out the car originally had been sold in Indianapolis and stolen and taken to Ohio, chop shopped and sold. That owner reported the car stolen and sold it to a chop shop ring of thieves the car was taken to Chicago where it was chop shopped and sold in an auction. That's where the dealer bought the car put it on his lot and sold it as an executive driven car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts