Trapshooters Forum banner

Use of Guns

2446 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  xsshooter
The fall season is upon us and we have a slew of new shooters expressing interest - which is awesome! How do you all handle guns for shooters without them?

I've loaned my stash week to week (along with a couple other coaches) over the past 5 years. However, our team is much larger now (60 plus kids) and liability has me a bit concerned as well (which I hate that aspect).

I'm thinking of requiring everyone to provide their own. Please know I'll meet families and they may try auto / break open / etc. before purchase, but for team events, they need their own. We're getting to the point where I'm fielding 8 to 10 shotguns per week.

Thoughts anyone??? I really don't want to be the hurdle for kids participating, so struggling with this one...

Jed
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Our SCTP team I help with has 8 loaner guns we got from NRA grants. This year we have 31 kids 12 without their own firearm. We only have one trap field overlaid by skeet so we set up our squads so that more than one kid could shoot the same firearm. After the first couple of weeks several of the parents stepped up and bought guns for their kids so by the time we were done it wasn’t so bad.
Good luck

· Registered
2,102 Posts
We require each participant to provide their own shotgun. We just figure this is a necessity. I too am concerned about the liability issue of loaning guns. If a kid needs to borrow a gun it should be from a relative. Not to mention someone has to regularly clean and maintain all those extra guns.

· Registered
2,977 Posts
If you have guns to loan, and WANT to do that fine. Please explain to me how a shooting sport differs from other sports. If this was baseball, would you be providing all the gloves and bats? Soccer coach’s providing shin guards & cups nowadays? Try ice hockey on for size if you wanna talk expensive.

My kid wanted to race a car. Do you think there were loaner cars, fire suits, motors, tires etc.? I spent north of $15K before a tire hit a track... cuz, mommy & daddy bucked up.

Wanna play, ya gotta pay.

· Registered
4,109 Posts
Our SCTP team I help with has 8 loaner guns we got from NRA grants. This year we have 31 kids 12 without their own firearm. We only have one trap field overlaid by skeet so we set up our squads so that more than one kid could shoot the same firearm. After the first couple of weeks several of the parents stepped up and bought guns for their kids so by the time we were done it wasn’t so bad.
Good luck
The NRA grant program has been Very generous to my club. Allowing us to buy not only shotguns, but rifles too. Ammunition at a deep discount too. Where can a kid find 22's for 50 cents / box and 12ga. at $2.50. Targets are free.

· Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All very helpful and yes...
Not to mention someone has to regularly clean and maintain all those extra guns.
...cleaning those guns is a real pain as it falls on me. Kids don't realize the expense of those guns either, some are shooting really nice "loaner" guns.

Greatly appreciate everyone's feedback as it reaffirms my gut ... which is ... provide your own and I'm happy to point you in the right direction for purchase.

· Registered
184 Posts
Getting them to clean their own guns is easy we inspect before they shoot if not clean they don’t shoot. That means if two kids are sharing a gun they both don’t shoot. If two kids in a family usually share the same gun if fit is ok. We do provide cleaning kits. Most clean as soon as they are finished shooting.

· Registered
427 Posts
For teams that have bought team guns, who's name is the gun put in when purchased (liability issues)? Who keeps the guns between seasons? Our head coach currently lends out guns. I've got a couple I could loan but there hasn't been a need and the kids seem to think since it's not their gun, they don't need to clean it. We do need to work more on gun cleaning in general, as mentioned above....lots of dirty guns out there.

· Registered
184 Posts
We are not required to register guns in this state but different Coaches have done the background check from the FFL to pick them up. We also had a gun safe donated to the club to store them in. The bill of sale list the team as the buyer.

· Registered
93 Posts
You are definitively dealing with issues we did not have 30 years ago. We were able to get Beretta to donate 5 skeet and 5 trap autos back in the day for the university team. Of course those of us that were competitive had our own guns. The university was able to own the guns and the insurance covered by them. We had our own range so this was easier. Granted today's regulations on days/hours and who can open the range have been restricted tons. The days of being responsible for yourself are long gone.

· Registered
19 Posts
Interesting this came up on here. Currently my business and two of my buddies who own businesses are sponsoring a 1,000 dollar Annie and buckle shoot at our local club to support our youth shooting program with the proceeds going to them to buy guns and ammo! From what I understand midway USA is doing a deal with them where they match dollar for dollar for youth programs so essentially if they make 3 k they will be able to get 6k worth of stuff from atleast that’s what I understood we just wanted to have the shoot and help the kids the details to all that would need verification for sure but that’s what our local club is doing to help the kids worth looking into

· Registered
172 Posts
We had 72 kids on the team in the spring and are expecting 80 this spring. Some of our coaches loan out their own guns. I do not due to liability concerns. We are looking at purchasing insurance.
We put on cleaning clinics for the new shooters every season and have lots of cleaning supplies.

· Registered
310 Posts
Our team used to lend out guns; however, as others pointed out the club doesn't own them, and there is liability with giving a family a gun and taking it home. If someone kills themselves or someone else, you bet whoever lent it would be named in a lawsuit

We explored setting up a separate company or corporation to take ownership, but even as an attorney I couldn't navigate that minefield.

Some teams let shooters borrow guns at practice or meets and retain possession, but then they have to be cleaned on the spot, or a coach takes that on. Also, they have to be secured and stored while not in use, transported to practice and meets, and checked in and out. That is a lot of work for someone to take on. If a kid wants to practice on their own, then this system doesn't work.

We let kids on the fence about shooting borrow a gun at the first 3 practices, to see if they like it. If they want on the team, they have to buy their own, or borrow one.

n the long run the gun is the cheapest part of the sport. At current ammo prices, one year of ammo equals a BT 99. A kid can shoot that gun for 4 years, and if it is taken care of, sell it for 80% of the original purchase price.

Kids can use whatever gun they want except exposed hammers. We start practice in January, season ends May 1. Just too many issues handling a hammer in general and especially with gloves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.