Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Way off topic boys! Can anyone tell me a brand of drill bits that are still made in the United States and if so, what is the source? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Tom,

Our Cornwell Tools guy has sold USA made drill bits. They are about $60 or so for an organized box of them. It would be a good place to start. They are very good tool steel bits.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Fastenal company has them.Our local machine shops use them, thats good enough for me as I have found none better. Jeff

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Anyone here used, and had good luck with, a "Drill Doctor"? Everytime I run into a dull drill bit, I think about getting one, but I never can pull the trigger (see, gun-related). Any response is appreciated.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have had a Drill Doctor 750 for about 10 years now. In that time I have sharpened at least 1 bit a week and never have been disappointed. And I have not bought a bit in that time.
Glenn

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Another +1 for the Drill Dr. Just don't let your bits get too dull, otherwise you will just get mad at yourself. They do have a "learning" period but once you get the "hang" of it you will love it. Ross Puls

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
Another for the drill doctor, gives you something to do on a rainy day besides reloading

Triumph also makes good bits, I like the Trinado they have three flats ground into them so they don't slip, you can get them a Enco, it's a mail order supplier

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
use-enco.com

They carry thousands of drill bits.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Sears sells a set of up to 1/2 inch (by 32nds). They are in a black steel box which is a little hard to open, but they are the best, best drills I have ever owned, bar none, including all the ones named above. Cost is around $60.

I had to drill a boat-trailer tongue to mount something and just picked a couple of non-Sears ones out of the drawer and shoved and swore for a while. I went back to the garage, fought the Sears box open, went out and zip! - they plowed through the metal the others would hardly make in a scratch with a nice, clean, burr-less hole.

I've used them many times since and there's just nothing like them.

USA? I have no idea. But they are the best, that I know.

Neil

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Uncle Louie, long passed learned to sharpen bits free hand. "By damn" they would cut. I watched and learned. Bit sharpeners, dont need one. Mine cut.....merlyn...ps, glasses help now...lol

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Meryln, I second free hand, I prefer a flat upright belt sander ,,, but less than about 3'/32", even the glasses aren't much help. To many edges run together blurry?
DaveB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts