USA High School Clay Target League | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

USA High School Clay Target League

Discussion in 'Youth Trapshooting Section' started by rnd, May 5, 2020.

1. rnd

rnd TS Member

I am just curious how many are competing this year. We are in Kansas and i have only heard of a few schools that are shooting. They have cancelled our State Tournament but we are still hopefull for the National Tournament in July.

2. ganger

ganger Well-Known Member

Our looney toon governor extended the shutdown till May 18, so I'm guessing we are probably screwed here, but not positive yet.

3. rnd

rnd TS Member

Where are you located ?

4. ganger

ganger Well-Known Member

Minnesota. Land of 10,000 taxes. And one dipshit governor.

5. DJerdee

DJerdee TS Member

Minnesota, our club gave us the go ahead to shoot, with some special restrictions, so we're able to salvage the season so far. Hopefully the MI gov comes to her senses and allows the Natl Tourney to be held but I'm not holding my breath.

6. rnd

rnd TS Member

I’m not holding my breath either but some of our seniors sure are.

7. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Well-Known Member

Here in NY with schools closed for the rest of the school year, there won't be a league this season.

8. bt99shooter25

bt99shooter25 TS Member

So there isn’t a league in NY this spring?

9. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Well-Known Member

Contact your local school coach to confirm, but I do not believe there will be a spring league in NY.

10. benboat

benboat Active Member

Here in Ohio our school gave us the approval to begin our season late last week. Our club just reopened and we are starting. Had about 30 kids out this evening for practice. The state shoot is cancelled. The national tournament was cancelled today due to it being held in Michigan and their continued shutdowns. We are implementing some guidelines for "social distancing" and how us coaches interact with the kids.

ganger thanked this.
  11. DJerdee

DJerdee TS Member

Just learned last night that the Nat'ls are cancelled. What a bummer for the seniors and those that were looking forward to this event. While I completely understand the reasoning, I'm disappointed to say the least. We've been shooting for 2 weeks here in MN, although we lost several other schools that shoot at our club.

12. rnd

rnd TS Member

I am not surprised that they cancelled the tournament. We are still shooting but i am curious to know how many teams in the county have suspended their season.

13. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Join the SCTP... They have better liability insurance, more disciplines to compete in, more programs for the athletes and coaches, more fundraising opportunities, more scholarships.

Crafty75 thanked this.
  14. benboat

benboat Active Member

I dont think the issue is with the league whether its SCTP or USA Clay Target. There were a lot of clubs closed which are just recently reopening. We have considered starting at SCTP Team as well for the shooters who are serious. Our hold up was with the school giving permission to have a season which has been an issue nationwide. All other spring sports were cancelled entirely and we feel lucky to be able to get these kids out shooting. Trying to get 42 kids to social distance after not seeing their friends for months is a challenge.

ganger thanked this.
  15. DJerdee

DJerdee TS Member

Benboat- I hear you on the social distancing for the kids, we've made it mandatory that parents stay in the car. They're itching to lend a hand too, not that all of them are helpful. We'll get through this together. Stay safe and healthy!

bossbasl thanked this.
  16. Troutbum60

Troutbum60 Well-Known Member

Benboat,
    Issues with school approval is the exact reason we left the USA clay target league and joined SCTP. We formed our own non for profit corporation and are in the process of obtaining 501 (c) (3) status. SCTP allows you to form a club which gets you out from under the thumb of school boards and administrators. Plus as Stone wall said, you have better insurance coverage that is year round.

Crafty75 thanked this.
  17. benboat

benboat Active Member

Troutbum,
    We are currently only a club with the school and not an official sport which is why we were able to start our season. All other sports were cancelled. The state of Ohio also doesn't recognize shooting sports as an official sport in schools. We also have formed a 501 c 3 which funds the team and any other youth shooting sports we deem necessary. This is separate from the school and done purposely to keep our fundraising out of their hands.

DJerdee,
    We had our first practice and are in the process of modifying our safety policies on this virus. Most of the kids just dont understand and are acting like its normal times. While I have some personnel opinions on the need for some of these "guidelines", I am setting those aside to comply. The kids need to understand that we are lucky to even be out there and it would take only one upset person to call the health department and we could be shutdown.We are doing things like limiting the amount of people allowed at tables, under the pavilion, spreading out tables to keep distance and no gathering in the clubhouse unless using the restroom. We have card readers at each trap house and now are realizing that we probably should be cleaning those since the kids have their own cards. Hand sanitizer and wipes are non existent in stores here. If a coach needs to approach a shooter on the line for a gun issue they are wearing a mask and using hand sanitizer prior to handling their guns. Then there is the gun racks, not sure what to do about those. Considering having them put the guns back in their cars after shooting. Very frustrating times.

ganger and Troutbum60 thanked this.
  18. Troutbum60

Troutbum60 Well-Known Member

I understand your frustration and applaud your efforts to keep all involved safe. Finding a suitable hand sanitizer is hard indeed. I work for a small craft brewery in Southern Illinois and for the past month have been making hand sanitizer non stop. We started offering it locally and now are shipping all over the country. Our biggest obstacle to overcome has been securing the ethanol, which by the way, has gone up 10 times in the last 6 weeks. With beer sales down 75 % we have to do something to weather this storm. Hopefully all of this madness ends soon. Best of luck to you and your team.

19. DJerdee

DJerdee TS Member

Benboat, Troutbum
    We have only 2 trap fields to shoot on so working with the kids has been pretty easy. For the most part the kids have been eager to shoot and able to handle rules. We have a new shooter on the team whose Dad was eager to make sure we know his kid can't hit birds last week. Between our coaches we were able to get him hitting with one coach being more influential. This evening Dad decides to break protocol and walk onto the Trap field to show his gratitude to helpful coach, not cool since every other parent has to sit in their cars. Bad way to start 'Juniors' HS shooting career. For the most part 98.5% of the parents are really good about the situation and understand. This jack wagon has just painted a pretty poor picture of himself.
    Keep smashing birds and teaching the next generation how too!

Troutbum60 thanked this.