Trapshooters Forum banner

US Open Ammo

2619 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Sportshot
Has anyone heard if they will have ammo available at the US Open?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,621 Posts
Joe XT - Fair question - Are you going to the US Open to shoot or are you going to go to the WSRC just to try and acquire shells ??

Reactions: bankerbob

· Registered
1,563 Posts
Many shoots have been limiting ammo buys to whatever amount you are shooting in the program.

Reactions: SDBigDog55

· Registered
2,619 Posts
Normally at the US Open the ATA will sell shells at the main registration desk for a normal price. They normally don't have a large selection (5 or 6 different kinds and loads). But you would have to call the ATA to find out about that. The other option is Wal-Mart in Sparta or Gipson Guns at the range may also have some to sell. How many you can buy might be the question.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Wal-mart in Sparta usually has a good selection. I’ve been getting ammo there throughout the shortage.
Was there about 3 hours ago. All I saw was several flats worth of AA 1300 FPS sporting loads, ~50 boxes of REM 1145 STS 1.125 oz #7.5, half dozen boxes of Nitro 27 #8 and several 4 packs Estate 1oz, #8 @ 1290 FPS. All priced at normal Walmart prices. I didn’t notice any signs about limits, but if you’re driving a ways, you might call first.

· Premium Member
76 Posts
Was there about 3 hours ago. All I saw was several flats worth of AA 1300 FPS sporting loads, ~50 boxes of REM 1145 STS 1.125 oz #7.5, half dozen boxes of Nitro 27 #8 and several 4 packs Estate 1oz, #8 @ 1290 FPS. All priced at normal Walmart prices. I didn’t notice any signs about limits, but if you’re driving a ways, you might call first.
Dang, they had quite a bit of the 4 pack federals 1200 the other day. They usually get a decent size order every other week or so. I heard they get the pick of the liter on ammo since they sell the most out of any other Walmart in the country. I’m sure they will get a decent order in for the open. I’ll check this week and let everyone know.

· Registered
13,015 Posts
Dang, they had quite a bit of the 4 pack federals 1200 the other day. They usually get a decent size order every other week or so. I heard they get the pick of the liter on ammo since they sell the most out of any other Walmart in the country. I’m sure they will get a decent order in for the open. I’ll check this week and let everyone know.
That's good BUT, you should remind people that if they are not an ILL. resident , do not live in a state that BORDERS ILL. , or have a current ILL. hunting Lisc. , they cannot buy ammo at WallMart in Sparta.

· Registered
13,015 Posts
Sometimes, there are ways around that ,at least that is what a friend told me. Not sure what he meant though.
Col. the only" WAY AROUND IT" that I know of, is getting someone who meets the above 3 conditions to buy them for you. Unless you buy ON SITE which ILL. says is OK. When the Grand first went to Sparta ,They allowed "everybody " to buy locally. All you had to do was show your ATA card. Then ILL. got a new "Gun Nazi" and he stopped that. It's not usually a problem for people like me who Drive there. We can just haul in our Ammo. but it might effect people who do not live in a border state , if the current AMMO shortage effects supply. Let's hope that will not be the case, and the Ammo will be available in sufficient amounts.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joe XT - Fair question - Are you going to the US Open to shoot or are you going to go to the WSRC just to try and acquire shells ??
I am thinking of going, but not driving 6 hours if there won't be any ammo, or on the hope that Walmart has ammo. These are not usual times for ammo. Its not possible to get ammo. At least in my area.

· Registered
4,998 Posts
I knew that. It was my attempt at sarcasm, I failed! That is right though, just get one of us locals to get it. Happens all the time. It never used to be that way until several years back. Walmart used to stock way more ammo during the Grand until that dumb ruling came down from the state. It was based on an interpretation of the law by the, at that time, head nuts of the Illinois State Police. The new head of the State Police is Brendan Kelly but being a Pritzker appointee I doubt he will reverse the ruling. Really dumb, makes no sense. The law never changed just the way they see it.

· Registered
4,498 Posts
Many shoots have been limiting ammo buys to whatever amount you are shooting in the program.
That was the case at the NSC for their big shoot in March. After you registered, you took your registration form over to the ammo barn, and they would only sell you enough for what you signed up to shoot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.