Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In mid-May a hunting buddy and I are traveling to Uruguay for four day mixed bag hunt. Ducks and pardiz in the morning. Doves each afternoon. We're renting guns from the lodge. We have a couple of questions.

The Lodge says bring rain gear. Is a water repellent hunting jacket enough?

Any issues on frying your lap top or cell phones with the 220 volt service?

Is there cell coverage after leaving the City?

What is the protocol on tipping? Every day, in the field, to the guide and bird boy? (I read a couple of posts that recomended tipping the bird boys in the field, every day.) Or, in one lump sum at the end of the week through the lodge owner? Dollars or pesos?

A number of posters regret bringing too much gear. What is the one thing you wish you had not brought? And, the one thing you wish you had brought?

Any issues or advice on customs up returning to the US?

Thanks in advance.

O/U

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
O/U - read my Argentina post here - South & Central American Dove Hunting

PM me the name of your operator and I will dig around more; can't promise anything...

Perdiz hunting means rubber boots 90% of the time, esp in the mornings. Ducks for sure. It can rain pretty good in UYU so solid gear is important. There are no briars and such to tear things up, though crossing fences means paying attention.

Check your chargers to see if it says 220/240. If so, it will work fine in UYU. This is an example of plug adapters that you would need.

Cell coverage is good nationwide, except when well way off the beaten path. Verizon only phones will not work since Verizon uses CDMA, where all UYU carriers are GSM.

Compete Customs form 4457 -- Certificate of Registration For Personal Effects Taken Abroad -- before you go, for guns, etc.

A comment on hunting perdiz: The real English name for this bird is the Spotted Nothura. It lives in green grass pasture. They do not covey up. You will move mostly singles, though when the first single flushes, one more may get up too. There is another bird, the locals call a Martineta. It's the Red Winged Tinamou. It's double the size of the perdiz and prefers more dry and thick cover. Unless your operator has access to this type of heavy cover it's doubtful you will ever seen one hunting perdiz in green pasture.

Hunting over pointing dogs in UYU is based on European practices, which means the dog points and flushes the birds. This results in shooting over the dogs as the perdiz invariably fly away from the dog. Since you would be behind the dog, well, you know.... If my father had caught me shooting over his dogs, I would have gotten a whoopin. As a result, I don't hunt many perdiz. Can only say: when in Rome... so you decide.

If you have any further questions, please post them so others can benefit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GoldGuy,

Thank you. Your advice and insight is digital gold.

Under the Forum Rles I need 50 open posts before I can PM you. I'm a newbie, and this is my first post. That said, we're staying at the David Denies lodge in Young, Uruguay. (We purchased the trip at a Ducks Unlimited auction. The price was well below the cost of all other lodges we researched.)

Thank you for the local insight on rain gear.

It looks like I'll need something other than the field boots I use for grouse, woodcock and pheasant hunting. My buddy hunts ducks as well. This will be my first time.

The information on CDMA v. GSM is very helpful. I have a Verizon iPhone. I'll look into a $25 temporary phone for the trip.

We're not bringing guns. Do we still need to complete Form 4457 if we're just bringing hunting gear/clothing?

I've watched YouTube videos on perdiz hunting. My initial reaction was the hunters were aiming too low, and shooting right over the dogs. Your description confirms my fear. In some of the videos the hunters are walking forward with shotguns in the shooting position (but in the shoulder/cheek on the comb). All of this runs counter to everything I've learned, and intuitive safe practices. I guess I'll watch, learn and adapt.

Is there anything hunters don't bring which they wish they had?

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Perdiz limit two per day in Jesus Maria (Cordoba area). I shot over some very good dogs, some new to me like the Bracca of Italian lines. One day we happened into a group of Rheas, quite large birds!
The terrain I have hunted for perdiz is open and presents fairly easy shooting. I think outfitters have a hard time getting fields to hunt as the local hunters reserve the rights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts