Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shipped a PW hydro unit from Va to NY. It was wraped in a trash bag ,then was packed in a commercial plastic tote inside of Two boxes. Two days later, it arives in NY inside a different box and has been damaged ,the tote is gone. Fluid all over.Now the fight starts. Just venting. Jeff

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I shipped a PW hydro unit to Whiz.

I cut a piece of plywood to fit the box, bolted the hydro to the plywood, put it inside the box, STUFFED the box full of packing paper, and taped it shut. There was absolutely NO wiggle room inside the box for it to shift in transit.

When it arrived at Whiz's, all of the paper was done, the box was torn open, fluid everywhere.

UPS ended up paying the claim (to whiz, since the shipment was billed to his UPS account).

The key to getting paid on insurance claims is to be PERSISTENT. Call them at least once a day, every day, until a check is mailed. If they deny your claim, appeal it, and keep appealing until a check is mailed.

I've had a couple claims through USPS, a couple through Fedex, and one or two through UPS. Every one has been paid to date.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
What kind of fluid are you guys referring too? It sounds as if you guys packed the things very well. I believe there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to packing shipments. Why the hell would it have been unboxed in the first place?

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
The machines have hydraulic fluid in them.

Granted, it may be a better idea of drain them before shipping, but then its a pain for the buyer to find it to replace. I had to try a few spots before I found a Tractor Supply 45 minutes away that had what I needed in quart bottles, Autozone has it too, but in 5 gallon pails LOL.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I gotcha now. I wasn't thinking about the hydro. It went over my head. Still, no excuse for the condition of the packages you two sent. I swear the loaders at UPS must test packages by running over them.

A UPS driver and good friend once told me the truck loaders are the root of most the damage issues. He said when they see the word "Fragile", that means "throw" to them. When they see "Do Not Stack", that means "put on bottom".

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
I had fedex once deny a claim because they claimed my MEC 9000 was a "car jack".

After clearing that up, they paid me.

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
I have a buddy that retired from UPS a couple years ago, he said the bean counters have ruined the company, he couldn't wait to retire as it was getting worse daily

He worked out of the Chillicothe Mo site, he and a bunch of the older drivers had 1,000,000 mile plus with no accidents and they hired some snot nosed wet behind the ears punk to ride with them to make them safer and faster, it did neither

He also said that they are pushing the new troops so hard they all get an attitude, and it them goes all to hell

·
Registered
848 Posts
I was told by a shipper once that it is best to take pictures of packed item before shipping.

With today's digital cameras take the pictures with the date on the picture.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
So the unit was shipped with fluid in it and you are pissed they had to re-box it when the fluid leaked out? Probably on other boxes it was loaded with. Now you know how and why boxes get re-boxed. Guys that do not drain fluid from their packages cause others packages to look like chit and become damaged. How is this UPS's fault? Should you have to reimburse UPS for the other packages you caused damage to?

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
303 maybe you should read the whole post. The unit was inside two taped garbage bags, inside a SEALED commercial plastic tote inside two different boxes marked with large arrows on all sides showing UP. It took a gorilla to throw it off a truck during shipping to break it. When it showed up the tote was gone and then half assed reboxed, not their fault? Horsesht. The trip was straight up 95 from Fredericksburg to NY state just over the border 200 miles.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I've shipped MEC pumps several times. I find it's best to cut a piece of 1/2" plywood the same size as the bottom of a heavy cardboard box. Bolting the pump base to this plywood really helps keeping it in position. MEC instructions for shipping details draining the pump of oil. Proper cardboard bracing also insures the pump is less likely to get damaged.

As for UPS, I have had them do really good work, and other times, have complained of poor service, or damaged goods. Once UPS paid for a MEC 9000H that had been damaged in shipping. So, all in all, UPS and FEDEX both have had their good and bad days.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts